The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1g T-stat housing thread size?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EnvyMyGsx

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 9, 2008
Chicago, Illinois
I did a search but couldn't find my answer, anyways, does anyone know what size plug you use on the back of a 1g thermostat housing? It's the hole where the fitting for the hose that runs into the fire wall. A 19mm wrench was used to take it off and its the lowest on the housing.

If you know please I cant find the right size at a small parts store.

Thanks
Jim

3/8" BSPT. You usually can't find this size locally. However, Mitsubishi makes a nice plug for these holes. The part number is MD040338.

Careful blocking that off though. The factory cooling system relies on the heater core as a bypass for when the thermostat is closed.

3/8" BSPT. You usually can't find this size locally. However, Mitsubishi makes a nice plug for these holes. The part number is MD040338.

Careful blocking that off though. The factory cooling system relies on the heater core as a bypass for when the thermostat is closed.

Hey thanks so much. I ran it before like this but not for long so I wouldnt know the ups and downs of doing this. what do you think the down sides of having it blocked off is? At this time I can not run those lines due to the AN fitting welded onto the water pump. The lower pipe that runs along the block is not in right now for that reason, this being the reason I have to run it this way. I was only planning to run it like this for 3 months I hope do you think Ill run into problems?

Well I don't have any personal experience in the matter, but from what I hear it can cause extra strain on the water pump and even cause headgasket issues. Do you have a water cooled turbo? The turbo will also serve as a bypass route, although it's probably more restrictive than the heater route would be. You could always remove the thermostat too and that would solve the problem, although that brings up more issues in itself.

Well I don't have any personal experience in the matter, but from what I hear it can cause extra strain on the water pump and even cause headgasket issues. Do you have a water cooled turbo? The turbo will also serve as a bypass route, although it's probably more restrictive than the heater route would be. You could always remove the thermostat too and that would solve the problem, although that brings up more issues in itself.

Ya, the turbo is water cooled. I hear you on removing the thermostat, I wouldn't want to do that. The kid I bought the car from for some odd reason smashed the pipes coming out of the fire wall. Would you happen to know if thats an easy fix or does a whole thing have to be replaced? Thanks alot for the help by the way, I haven't touched one of these cars for 2 year so Its coming back but there are just little things I've forgotten or just need help on.

Jim

I don't think that's an easy fix. The nipples are integrated into the heater core.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back