The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G 1G Rear Hatch Weatherstripping Weather Stripping Seal Repair Fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Car Cannibal

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 7, 2003
Chicago, Illinois
I'm the 2nd owner since 2001, I'm starting to run into issues that are body related, here's a nice fix to your torn and ripped rear 1G hatch weatherstripping or seal that's plagued me for the last year without resolution.... until now.

I couldn't find ANY help on this other than, buy it from a donor car. Ah what, another 30 year old cars weatherstripping? I'll pass...

Cost = $30
Install Time = 15 minutes
Tools = Utility Knife, Wire Cutters, WD40

Here's my struggle in 7 simple steps...

1 = (I purchased 25ft but 20ft is plenty)
Amazon
Vertical Bulb Trim Seal
Diameter: 0.5"
Grip range: 0.039" to 0.14"
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

2 = Pull up OLD Factory weatherstripping and cut through it at the truck latch (bottom and center)

3 = Yank the old weatherstripping off your hatch, peals off easy, pull up.

4 = Measure old weatherstripping or take old and new weatherstripping and lay them out side by side to get a length. I added at least 5 extra inches just in case. Cut new weatherstripping with utility knife then use wire cutter to snip off internal wire that runs through it.

5 = WD40 new weatherstripping opening lip to help it slip on faster.

6 = Start at the hatch latch (bottom center) and push new weatherstripping onto the body's lip. Slowly go around the hatch metal lip and you'll end up back where you started.

7 = Cut off excess weatherstripping at latch with utility knife and wire cutter.

Picture 1 = Factory ripped weatherstripping after a winter frost caused it to stick to the hatch and rip while opening.

Picture 2 = New weatherstripping on the hatch.

The cut mark on the new weatherstripping is at the hatch latch so no water will sneak in like if you were to put it at the top or sides where water builds up.

No more exhaust smell from creeping past the old ripped hatch seal.

And yes, I feed my Talon emblem Stink Bugs in hopes it'll stay happy.

Last edited:
I’m discovering what most of y’all know already, it’s a challenge finding parts. Thanks for posting this fix. My order is on its way and hope it fixes a leak where there’s a huge chunk of weather strip missing.

Yes, I actually did get a nice used one, and replaced my old shredded one. I had been looking into which generic bulb seal would work. The factory one has a slightly wider “skirt”? At the bottom that blends in better to the interior trim, but the look of you cheaper (and brand new rubber) seal looks fine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back