The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1g lifter tick getting worse?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosted DSM 32

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 21, 2011
McDonald, Ohio
My car has always had the tick since I've had it and its slowly been getting worse I believe.. Now the tick is pretty audible and if I'm cruising and go to give it gas sometimes the car feels like it doesn't want to go and the check engine light comes on is it possible there actually messed up? Could my valves be stating open or shut for too long?

Your post is hard to answer without a video and more details on whats going on.

You say your "tick" is getting worse and is audible now? What do you mean by that? Do you mean it's more audible? Do you mean it used to tick at startup and now it ticks all the time? Bottom line is we need more details and a video would help.

When you go to pass someone you say your car loses power and the check engine light comes on. This "tick which is probably a "knock" is more than likely loud enough to have the knock sensor pick it up and pull a lot of timing. This will make the car feel like a dog, but it's actually trying to save you more damage in the long run.

Don't drive the car any more until you figure what it is. If you are sitting at idle and hear the "tick", pull each plug one by one and see if the noise changes or quiets in that cylinder. If it does, you have a bad rod bearing in that cylinder more than likely.

The sound just comes and goes but since I changed the oil yesterday it's been doing it more often idk if maybe it's because the oil is thinner and new or what but its definately a lifter it's right up by the valve cover and how soo post a video on here? Do I have to post to YouTube first then use the link on here? I'm 99 percent sure its lifter tick but hey it's a dsm you never know LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back