The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1g Head > 2g Head ? HELP

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxShaneOmac

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 2, 2007
Everett, Washington
Ok I have a few questions about a 1g head.

First of all, How is it better then the 2nd gen head? I herd gains as far as 20 hp straight over the 2ng gen. True? Is it just stronger or does it have a better flow?

Then say I buy a 1g head to swap it with mine, I would want to get it cleaned up and machined to fit a cometic head gasket, what would I have to do exactly, like what needs to be machined etc.

Then I get ready to swap the heads, Do I have to pull my block or can I just do head to head. Do I need to convert anything so the head will work?

And overall Im going to be doing
Lifters
Cams
Arp Head Studs
Cometic HG
new VC

Any other words of advice to me on this project.
Thanks

The 1g head flows more because its intake ports are almost double the size of the 2g intake ports.

There is big debate over the 2 heads.
I believe a well ported 2g head has better flow design.
But straight from stock the 1g head has bigger ports allowing for more air.
All you need is to have the head checked to make sure its not warped, maybe shave it to be sure. A machine shop will do all that for you.
While your going this far you minus well do valves and springs too.
There isnt anything special you have to do to put in the cometic gasket.
You can pull the head right off the block in the car.
-Chad

You can swap head to head but you are going to need to wire up the CAS on the 1g head. I don't know about seeing 20hp gains from just a 1g head but the ports are a little bigger. But the 2g head has better machining in the ports so it's a trade off. You could just port the 2g head and be fine and throw a set of cams in it but it will bolt on.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back