The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1g DSM BOV Leak Stop Kit - Dejon Tool Install

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For those who are unaware, the stock 1g bov is a great piece. However, it's only downfall is that at boost pressures exceeding approx. 18psi (bov's will vary) the valve begins to leak. There are several modifications available to make the 1g bov hold more pressure. The Dejon Tool Leak-stop-kit is one of them.

Dejon Tool produced the 1g bov leak-stop kit. If you're looking at this tech article chances are you already own the leak-stop-kit or are interested in purchasing it. If you are intersted in purchasing the kit click the link below and choose the BOV-Misc-Tools link to purchase the kit.
DEJON | Powerhouse

Here is the info on how well Dejon claims the leak-stop-kit peforms

DEJON | Powerhouse

There is also the old famous "Dodge Garage Mod" that you can do on a 1g dsm bov. I have never used this modification and cannot give you a review on how it performs other then that I have heard there have been surge issues reported. I cannot say if those people did the modifications correctly. Here is a link to that modification if you wish to do that instead of spending money on the dejon kit.

DDG- Talon BOV mod for HIGH BOOST

And another good link on modifications such as crushing and the Dodge garage mod further explained.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-turbo-system-intercooler/220909-1g-bov-101-mods.html

Now lets say you're like me, you already have the dejon kit or you decided it was the best option to go with. I purchased this kit when it first appeared the market. I admit to having done little research and in hindsight honestly wish I had not purchased it. There are other bov's available that work fine, and other cheaper modifications that I listed above that are proven to work as well. However, since I had the kit I decided to install it. Having purchased it a number of years ago I had long since misplaced the instructions on how to install it. I also had a hard time finding a "good" write-up. I decided to make this write-up to help anyone else who may find themselves in my predicament.

TOOLS/Equipment NEEDED:
leak-stop-kit
5/32 drill bit
drill
10-32 tap
1g bov

RECOMMENDED:
Smaller vacuum line (I will explain this later)

Step one is to obviously remove your bov. Now that you've removed it turn it over. You will notice a small hold in the underside of the bov. You will need to take your 10-32 tap and make threads in that hole.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Now that you have that hole tapped, leave it alone for now. You will now have to drill a hole through the side of your bov to intersect the passage of the hole you just tapped. Be careful and make sure you intersect that hole! Also be careful to drill the hole high enough up on the bov, to low and your set screw you will be installing will partially or fully plug your new hole!

During this whole time make sure to clean out all metal shavings you are creating in the bov passage. Now you will need to tap that hole.

Clean out all metal shavings again! Now take one of the nipples provided in the leak-stop-kit and screw it into the hole that you just tapped. Make sure you don't overtighten as the threads will be easily stripped.

Now you need to use the 10-32nf set screw provided with your kit. It is recommended to use jbweld, loctite, or some other sealant to ensure the screw does not leak. You need to ensure you screw it in flush with the bottom of the bov, the picture below does not show it fully screwed in.

Alright now comes the fun part. If you have aftermarket IC pipes I would suggest drilling and tapping this hole slightly closer to the TB, unfortunately I have stock IC piping currently and had to use the short metal piping piece that is there. Either way this needs to be installed on the IC piping before the TB. Using the same drill bit and tap as before, carefully drill a hole into your IC piping and tap it. IC piping is normally very thin, and tapping it will be difficult, be careful, ensure you keep the tap straight and you should be able to create a few threads. Now, attach the second nipple provided in your kit, again BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO OVERTIGHTEN. There will be very few threads and it would be very easy to strip them out. Also make sure all shavings are removed from the inside of your piping before re-installing.

Now comes the fun part, re-install your bov, it is preferred to use a new bov gasket and soem good rtv. That connection is a common boost leak spot. Re-install your intercooler piping and find a place to mount the leak-stop-kit pressure operated valve. I have removed the pop-up light motors on my 1ga so I found a good place that is out of sight.

Now install all your vacuum lines. You will notice two of the lines that came with the kit do not seem to have a good connection with the provided pressure operated valve's plastic fittings. I used some spare smaller diameter vacuum hose to ensure I did not cause a leak. All my lines were labelled for where they needed to be hooked up. If you have issues with this feel free to pm me about which lines need to go where.

INITIAL THOUGHTS:
I have yet to boost leak test my vehicle so I cannot say how well it holds pressure, previous reviews I've read all stated their bov's held pressure better then stock. I will update this thread as soon as I can get my hands on an air compressor and perform a boost leak test. The BOV seems to still function properly under normal driving conditions, I have yet to notice any surge issues, again I will attempt to update this thread as I do more driving. Although this may not be the most cost effective modification to your stock bov it does not seem to have the drawback of being worried about improperly crushing your bov, nor does it seem to have the surge issues that have often been reported by doing the dodge garage mod. As said before I will attempt to update this write-up with more reviews as driving continues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back