The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1g driveshaft vibration after filling carrier bearing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YanDsm

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 2, 2010
Thetford Mines, QC_Canada
Well, My car ran very good but my driveshaft was thumping under hard acceleration. I filled my carrier bearing with windshield urethane and now I feel a driveshaft vibration when driving up to 80+mph( I didn't tried going faster). Is it just the drivetrain vibration that are now felt because of the stiff carrier bearings or did I missed something?? All my u-joints seems good, has it happened to someone else ???

Come on!!! 40 views and nobody got something to say??

It's hard to say without looking at it, but I would guess you didn't fill it right. You have to be 100% sure you have the carrier centered when you fill it. If it's not perfectly straight, then the drive-shaft will not be straight and will give you problems. I have seen many people just blindly fill them without making sure they are held straight first. Then they have the problems you describe.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 100% sure that my carrier are completely filled but like you said maybe they are not perfectly centered. After few days of driving to work it seem's less vibrating. The vibration starts now at 45mph up to 90+mph. Maybe the windshield urethane soften a little bit. I think I should change the carrier bearings with new ones perhaps.

Are the new carrier bearing stiff enough to prevent driveshaft thump with a 350WHP dsm or I will need to fill the new ones too????

Last edited by a moderator:
Are the new carrier bearing stiff enough to prevent driveshaft thump with a 350WHP dsm or I will need to fill the new ones too????

Did you drop the driveshaft when you filled them or not? If not, the driveshaft was sagging in the carrier and it's formed that way as well as possibly half torqued like Jack said. Climb underneath with a small level (or an iphone level app) and measure all 3 segments of the shaft; add washers under the appropriate carrier so that they are all at the same trajectory going back - make sense? This may fix it or at least help, depending on your situation.

Dont bother buying new ones, I did this thinking the same thing - its just a waste of money (unless they are shredded to death already, or you have the shaft bushing angled in there goofy) and you'll have to fill them afterwards anyhow.

I've filled them unbolted and with the driveshaft supported by some wood blocks. Level the driving shaft isn't something I've thought but I think it's a really good idea. I'll try this for sure thank you!!

JackM, you're the man. I filled my carrier completely but the windshield urethane is thick enough to have forced my driveshaft in the lower side of the carrier. I removed the shim of the carrier to move it up and my driveshaft is better aligned now and vibrate less. Thank you very much.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back