The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Driveshaft vibration

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greddy_1700

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 27, 2006
Regina, SK_Canada
Hey guys,

my 94 TSI AWD winter car has this terrible vibration that is seemingly coming from the transmission. It sounds like a heatshield rattle above 4k rpm, but with the car in neutral up on a hoist, you can feel the driveshaft vibrate like crazy. A mechanic told me that the center diff was gone and that I need a whole new transmission. Does that seem possible, or should I be looking at something else.

Thanks,

Garret.

I know the carrier bearings are shot, but the car vibrates in neutral when it is not moving. It basically feels like and sounds like a heat shield is loose.

Well u know the bearings are bad so thats what it is. your bearings probly ground down so much that there is a space between the bearings and the shaft and the noise is coming from normal engine vibrations rattling the drive shaft against the bearing.

Your trans could be loose also. I had the rear 12mm bolt strip out and not know until other bolts started to get loose.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back