The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1g A/C acting finnicky

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMopar

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 6, 2007
Vista, California
Well my A/C used to work fine up until about a week ago, I drove with it from San Diego to LA with it on with no problems. About 2 days after that I went for a drive and it started acting funny. Basically the compressor kicks off and won't come back on, it seems when the car is cold its not as big of a problem, but also it appears to be RPM related. A couple days I was actually able to drive with it on for my entire drive by short shifting and keeping my RPM below 2500 or there abouts. It seems as soon as you get in the 2300+ range it'll kick off and it sometimes it'll come back on but sometimes it won't.

A couple things to note:

- I believe it still has the original R12
- It blows nice and cold when the compressor does actually kick in
- Today when it was acting up I jumped the high/low pressure switch and it still didn't kick back on which tells me the refrigerant isn't the problem.

So after reading the FSM it sounds like it could be one of the 2 thermo switches before and after the evaporator OR the A/C control unit. Anyone have any ideas? And also anyone know how to easily get at these components?

Just for kicks check to see if the pulley on the clutch is tight. I had a similar problem and I couldn't figure it out. The compressor would keep shutting off. I found the issue when the pulley fell off! The clutch was loose. Tightened it, and no problems.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back