The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G 6 bolt DSM -possible clutch/trans noise at 3000 RPM?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

all black 4G63

Proven Member
Aug 5, 2019
Chicago, Illinois
HI,
I am trying to isolate this weird oscillating metallic chattering noise coming from the bell housing area @ 2800-3000 RPM.

When driving and accelerating the noise comes in steady at 2800-3500 RPM and then goes away,. Noise is pretty much only occurring in that RPM range.

I have noticed that it is still there weather the clutch is engaged or disengaged. It is a new ACT clutch I think 2100 LB and 7lb fedenze flywheel installed many many years ago, just never ran the car until recently. (1990 TSI AWD)

The engine has no balance shafts, JE pistons and crower rods if that matters.

I have a link to the video. If you listen closely you can hear this alien sound almost like the clutch springs are moving around. It is quit loud when driving.

Does anyone recognize this noise or have any thought of what it could be?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Thank you for the feedback!

Oh wow,
I would imagine that there would be problems during starter activation, no?
The vehicle cranks fine every time.

Thank you for your reply

Good idea, I will check that and respond back.

Another thing I noticed is that today is really hot here and I beat on the car a little, but now the noise has lessened significantly.

What does anyone recommend now a days for a flywheel?

Im building a street car hope to reach 500+ HP.

If I remove the trans to find this Fedenza starter ring loose, I'll never buy that flywheel again,

It also has a ACT 2100LB clutch? What are your thoughts on that?

Thank you for the input!

West of Oak Park.

I am fighting this terrible noise/vibration that comes in a 2800 RPM and diminishes at 3100 RPM. I am all out of ideas and am ready to pull the trans I guess? The noise is still there with the clutch pressed, the noise still there if I lift the engine with a huge pry bar, the noise is there in neutral or driving, it f***ing sucks!

Any thoughts?

What does anyone recommend now a days for a flywheel?

Im building a street car hope to reach 500+ HP.

If I remove the trans to find this Fedenza starter ring loose, I'll never buy that flywheel again,

It also has a ACT 2100LB clutch? What are your thoughts on that?

Thank you for the input!
I went with a competition flywheel and I hate it. Much harder to launch over stock imo. I’d keep the stock flywheel if I had to do it over again.

what did you hate about it?
I sold my 2g in early 2000’s and got my 1g in 2017. I’d had not problems launch the car even after the hiatus. Went to the competition flywheel and it’s just much harder to slip. But if you’re not going to launch the car, it’s a fine flywheel

I sold my 2g in early 2000’s and got my 1g in 2017. I’d had not problems launch the car even after the hiatus. Went to the competition flywheel and it’s just much harder to slip. But if you’re not going to launch the car, it’s a fine flywheel

What clutch do you have mated to that Comp flywheel? What turbo and what rpm do you launch at?

I’ve got the same flywheel, mated to a comp 2600 clutch. I haven’t ran it yet but was curious about your experience. My last single plate clutch was an ACT 2600 with XACT flywheel. With an FP Green and stock suspension, I could cut a 1.58 60’. I’m hoping to at least get down into the 1.65 range with this combo

What clutch do you have mated to that Comp flywheel? What turbo and what rpm do you launch at?

I’ve got the same flywheel, mated to a comp 2600 clutch. I haven’t ran it yet but was curious about your experience. My last single plate clutch was an ACT 2600 with XACT flywheel. With an FP Green and stock suspension, I could cut a 1.58 60’. I’m hoping to at least get down into the 1.65 range with this combo
68hta, act street disc, act mb010x pp. was trying to launch at the same rpm as before 5k and that wasn’t doing it. Haven’t tried to raise it yet since I recently rebuilt the motor.

Before this set up, i had big 16g w same clutch & pp with stock flywheel. First time to the strip in 17 years and was able to get 1.7 60.

68hta, act street disc, act mb010x pp. was trying to launch at the same rpm as before 5k and that wasn’t doing it. Haven’t tried to raise it yet since I recently rebuilt the motor.

Before this set up, i had big 16g w same clutch & pp with stock flywheel. First time to the strip in 17 years and was able to get 1.7 60.

You should def increase launch rpm to at least 5500rpm. That lightened flywheel just doesn’t have the mass or inertia to keep momentum up at launch at only 5k.

You should def increase launch rpm to at least 5500rpm. That lightened flywheel just doesn’t have the mass or inertia to keep momentum up at launch at only 5k.

That was the plan before the hg blew and I decided to build the motor LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back