The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G 1997 GST BOV hookup and what to look for?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardThiago

Probationary Member
Apr 6, 2020
United State, Illinois
Haven't owned an Eclipse since 2002 when I picked up my 2003 GS, going Saturday to hopefully bring home a 1997 GST, was wondering one question that someone pointed out to me, the BOV on the car seems to be on backwards and the black hose is just there not capped or plugged into the BOV, should I turn the BOV around and hook the black hose up to it?

Will be driving the car 3 hours back home, so what else should I look for in order to make sure it makes the drive back?

I would recommend hooking it up so it recirculated, yes.
Make sure the timing belt isn't slack, make sure it doesn't have any major leaks. Let it get to op temp so the fans cycle before leaving. Inspect the steering, suspension and axles for issues. Check tires inner and outer for issues.

I'm sure there's more, but that's the basics.

If you end up buying it and he doesnt remember when the timing belt was replaced or it's been a couple years since it was done you need to do a timing job on it, all new belts for the car. Along with fluid changes and filters and rubber gaskets that can break down over time or harden and become warped during a heat cycle. Maintenance is extremely important for the 1g and 2g eclipse/laser/talon and is often half assed or overlooked. Get a chilton or Haynes factory service manual and use this site as it has so much information. Best of luck to you on your buy!

Remember, he's asking what to check for the drive home. Doubt the seller is gonna want to let someone rebuild a car in their driveway.

If nothing else, plan for the eventuality to rent a truck/trailer from a Uhaul or the like to get the car home. If something looks questionable, don't risk it, that's how things get broken and left to obscurity, or worse someone gets hurt.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back