The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

1995 GSX Street Fighter

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMDEMON93

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 18, 2009
San Jose, California
Hey everyone, I've been in the DSM game for awhile, and now for my third Eclipse, I decided to start a build thread.

The goal for this car is pretty much a weekend warrior, as in:
-Hit 11's on the strip one day
-Cruise home with the A/C on.

It won't be easy, but not impossible, and I am willing to give it a shot.

Background info: Circa October 2011.

I used to own a 1997 GST, that blew it's 2nd transmission in a year (shift rail snapped). I found on the fourms another user selling his 1995 Eclipse GSX. Apparently it did not run and the transmission needed a rebuild. Went to check it out, and I got it to run in no time! (Basically, had to re-install throttlebody, vacuum lines, etc and drove home). The transmission only had a 1st grind, but I can live with it for now.

Now, the previous owner I must say, did not mention the headgasket was blown. It overheated all the way home, with me taking frequent cooling breaks. Here comes the kicker, unprotected wiring running through the fuse block for an old boost gauge grounded out, and MELTED the fuse block.

Got home, ran a compression check(Still 170ish across the board!), but headgasket was blown between a coolant passage and cylinder. Swapped that out and was good to go. Also, I ordered a new fuse block, and had to re-solder all the connections that were ruined.

2012:

Since I have no real photos until now, I'll sum it up.
-Rebuilt an EvoIII Turbo
-Bought ECMlink V3
-Tried to tune, but was not good at it
-GM MAF
-Evo 560cc
-Rewired 190lph Evo 8 Pump
-Espelir JGT500 3'' Catback

The transmission and clutch became very bad. Apparently I added synthethic fluid and it leaked from the axle seals, so I burnt the syncros. Also, I was screwing around with the car, so the clutch was badly slipping.

Time for teardown for the 2013 year. (*=Already Own)

The gameplan for the new year is:
-Jack's Stage 2 Transmission
-Holset WH1C with 12cm Twin Scroll Housing*
-PTE 1200cc Injectors*
-Homemade T3 Twin Scroll manifold (My brother welds, and will teach me in the process)
-Walboro 255 in-tank
-Walboro 255 in-line
-HKS 40mm External Wastegate*
-HKS 272 Cams
-ACT 2900 W/6 Puck unsprung
-Resurfaced OEM Flywheel

I dropped the transmission and removed the clutch for replacement.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

Flywheel needs a resurface as well. You can feel the grooves pretty bad.

My transmission is being sent out to Jack's as a core. I am sending him a few of my bad FWD ones, and a few junk spares, LOL.

photo (2).jpg

I'll be snapping a few more pics of my Eclipse in a bit, I'm sort of playing catch-up, since I'm starting my build thread so late LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE: 7/9/2013

I had to put the project on hold, because I needed to put more focus on school, but now its summertime..and the livins' easy :cool:

THE BUILD HAS CHANGED AGAIN:

Recently I've been running an XTD Stage 4 clutch with my Jack's Stage 2 transmission...and had clutch drag issues, which super glazed my friction disc :mad:

I messed up, but hey, you live and learn, right?

Right now I've been running a base tune on my Evo3, 1200s, 190fp, just to get buy.

Currently I have:
Holset HY35
3'' Custom Vband downpipe
Generic T3 Manifold
38mm "Deltagate"
Aeromotive A1000
Walbro 255

Once I replace my clutch again..which is covered under it's 6 month warranty..I will do all the turbo installation.

Now...you're probably asking...
"Is this guy on a 7-bolt?"
YES.
Here's why.
#1->I am on a stock 150k block..that has near perfect compression..no leak down issues, etc. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
#2->I like the idea of the OEM girdle design, on how it dissipates stress throughout all four mains, to reduce bearing failure. I can always buy a 6-bolt/Kiggly Girdle/yadayadayada, but refer to #1.
#3->And because I'm a rebel. To each their own.
#4->Because..."How much blow to make the 7-bolt go?"<--copyright. Lol.

Also, the Holset oil drain.
Many issues discussing how to properly orientate/design the drain.
I am using a 3/4 NPT(yes you heard that right) steel pipe with 45 degree pipe fittings, and a piece of stainless braided hose in between. (Pics shortly, drain will be around~$20)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
PHOTOS:
Me dropping the old transmission(My parents are car people, and they won't let me use the garage, so I hijacked my grandma's driveway. I do it for the love of automobiles. (She always tries to get involved..I let her help me balance it on the jack.) Circa December 2012

photo_zps1b16257b.jpg

June 2013. Bought an NT throttle body, with a complete rebuild I will be doing. (Just for the record, any work done is by me, or with help from my brother and dad, putting all our automotive knowledge together) Basically I utilize the fourms 120%.

It's been taken apart and sitting in a can of Chem-Dip for almost a week now. I have a complete rebuild kit with Mil.Spec Shaft seals. Yippie!
IMG_3368_zps485794aa.jpg

June 2013. I have a generic T3 manifold I will be using for the time being. Ran into an issue. The stock 9cm Holset housing is threaded, along with the manifold. So I decided to drill out the manifold bolt holes.

To compensate for bolt expansion/contraction. The holes have been stepped up to 15/32in.

For precision, my 83 year old grandpa, who is from Yugoslavia, and doesn't speak English well, created a jig for our drill press. (He used to weld parts for F16s..the only man ever in his welding class to tack two heads of sewing needles together):cool:

IMG_4314_zpse77f7127.jpg

IMG_4317_zps033f7ff9.jpg

(I know...crap photo.^^) Lol.

Hand sharpening drill bits...like a boss. Lol.

IMG_4320_zps80014c1e.jpg

-------Turbo Oil Drain--------
Here is what I am making the drain out of. These brackets you can buy from OSH.

I used a simple bracket about 5mm thick, and used one of the supplied holes to bolt it up to the drain.

IMG_4446_zps6cced9d7.jpg

What do you know. ALMOST A PERFECT FIT. Just notch one hole and I'm ready to start welding that pipe fitting.

IMG_4448_zps6b3e8b8c.jpg

Here is the 3/4'' NPT Pipe fitting that will be welded. This pipe is a little thick, so the O.D. is around ~21mm. I'm looking at a little over an inch, around ~1.05in IIRC. This means I will need to buy a stainless -20AN hose..because the I.D. is 1.25in. I will be welding a bead to clamp the hose down.

photo5_zps44eab0d1.jpg

Yes, it looks barbaric, but looks really don't phase me. Practicality..is what counts.

About 1'' of pipe on EACH end of a 45 fitting will be welded to the pan to prevent line kinking.

Even Jamie from Mythbusters understands the importance of receiving turbo parts!(Didn't plan this, LOL)

IMG_4184_zpsb071b9b7.jpg

Here is the custom 3'' Vband downpipe I bought from 96Talon4g63(Thank you! Awesome sell! Great guy!), I bought a 2.5''-3'' vband adapter and clamps off ebay. There's the AFPR I bought off him too.

photo3_zps96fc17d1.jpg

Heres my welding tank I bought, it's been approved for Argon gas, I believe there's a 50/50 mix in that tank I bought from my boss for $40! (I work at a paintball field BTW...and he likes welding too, LOL) I think first hydro date was 1949...I love steel stuff.

photo1_zps1a03ce75.jpg

--------------MORE TO COME SOON------STAY TUNED FOR FABRICATION PICTURES!--------:sneaky:

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back