The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

14b 550's, SAFCII settings??, I NEED YOUR HELP PLEASE!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpoolingSpyder

15+ Year Contributor
May 6, 2004
Peoria, Arizona
I know this has been a discussion 100times over. Ive did alot of searching and need your help. Ive got a 97 gst spyder, with a ported 14b, walbro FP, 550's and a SAFCII. Other mods include a HUGE FMIC, 3 inch exhaust turbo back(no cat), intake, dual stage boost controller set at 16 psi, and other minor additions. Well I installed the SAFC and set it to all 0's. IT RUNS LIKE CRAP, i know your thinking ,no duh. Its running VERY RICH, the engine gets flooded with fuel, gas milage is crap and when boosting it missfires from the plugs and backfires out the exhaust with no power whatsoever. A friend recommended me to take some fuel out with the afc, -18% hi throttle and -6% low across the board and OMG its alot better(whew not something major), but not like it was before the afc. I checked the basics, leaks(none), plugs and wires replaced. Compression is 150, 150, 145, 135 on a stock 136,000 mile 7 bolt. Anyone lend me some help? what would be a good AFC set up with the mods I have? Should I take more fuel out? blowing white smoke out the pipes still, and not sure if its because of having no catback or still too much fuel. What would be the Ideal AFC setting for my set up? Please if you have a similar set up or have any advise, I would most appreciate it as for I have never tuned or used an SAFC before. Please help your fellow DSMer out! Thanks fellas!

If you're read any posts like this before that got sound advice you'd know that everyone is going to tell you to "GET A LOGGER!." No way around it, sorry.

The only advice anyone can give you by knowing your mod list that makes any logical sense is that 550s flow about about 18% more fuel than 450s so you need to take out 18% fuel. You've done that so now get a logger :)

you could pull out the 2 bottom honeycombs on the MAS to trick the ECU but that could cause problems later on down the road, if you do it you should be very careful and place them in a safe place. but your best bet would be to get a logger.

Ok took the car out again to see what it was doing ( IC piping keeps blowing off- got some Tbolt clamps). On a WOT run from 2nd gear thru 3rd. I notice at from 3k rpms to 4.5k the car is ok at 13punds of boost but feels like 8pounds. So get this, after 4.5k rpms, CAR PULLS LIKE its on steriods! and feels like 20 pounds for some reason. Are my low trims not taking enough fuel out? i have low throttle at -6% and high at -18% across the board. And car pulls twice as good at high throttle/high rpms. Anyone experiance this with tuning with the AFC? Ive went thru all the leak down tests/ replaced wires/ plugs/ changed oil etc. Now I know its just getting that damn AFC at the correct fuel trims. With my set up i should be able to max out that 14b correct? I figured with a FMIC, 550s, walbro FP, and all bolt ons would allow me to push it at least 20 pounds or to its highest efficiancy. Please I need your Imput!!!

SpoolingSpyder said:
Ok took the car out again to see what it was doing ( IC piping keeps blowing off- got some Tbolt clamps). On a WOT run from 2nd gear thru 3rd. I notice at from 3k rpms to 4.5k the car is ok at 13punds of boost but feels like 8pounds. So get this, after 4.5k rpms, CAR PULLS LIKE its on steriods! and feels like 20 pounds for some reason. Are my low trims not taking enough fuel out? i have low throttle at -6% and high at -18% across the board. And car pulls twice as good at high throttle/high rpms. Anyone experiance this with tuning with the AFC? Ive went thru all the leak down tests/ replaced wires/ plugs/ changed oil etc. Now I know its just getting that damn AFC at the correct fuel trims. With my set up i should be able to max out that 14b correct? I figured with a FMIC, 550s, walbro FP, and all bolt ons would allow me to push it at least 20 pounds or to its highest efficiancy. Please I need your Imput!!!

Get a logger and see what your trims are. Without it, you have now way to monitor what the ecu sees so how do you know you arent running lean and on the verge of burning a piston or something else. You dont really have any sense if you are modding and tuning without a monitoring device :nono:

I would do -18% across and then it will be like you had 450s and no AFC.

Every car is different. You can't use someone else's settings and assume they will work for your car. Tuning with your "butt dyno" is about the dumbest idea ever. :toobad: Eat the $150 and go get yourself a logger before you have a $2000 repair bill on your hands. :thumb:

SpoolingSpyder said:
-18% on the high end or across the low end as well?
Low and high, that would cancel out any change that putting in the 550s did. Think about it. 550-18%=~450cc.

leakyfaucet said:
Low and high, that would cancel out any change that putting in the 550s did. Think about it. 550-18%=~450cc.

I know this is a super old thread but, Is this 18% being taken out going to be safe with out a logger. I started tuning then fried my logger interface , I ended up with these numbers. not the car feels ok and boost good but i dont thing its where it should be at all....should I just wait till I get the interface or will 18% across be better. Thanks im running 15lbs now and it spikes to 19 or 20.

(Lo)

1000 2000 3000 4000 5000 6000 7000 7500
-12 -11 -14 -12 -12 -12 -12 -12

(Hi)

1000 2000 3000 4000 5000 6000 7000 7500
-12 -12 -11 -11 -12 -12 -12 -12

I wouldn't go any leaner without a logger. Every car is different and you don't want to find out the hard way that yours is different. ;)

I am running 650's and my low setting are between -12% and -16% OMG

My high settting, on the other hand, are between -24% and -32%.

So as you can see, my car is "different" :D

If you have 550's and you're at -12% you will most likely be running rich, which is not a problem while you get your interface repaired. Enjoy :thumb:

spyderturbo007 said:
I wouldn't go any leaner without a logger. Every car is different and you don't want to find out the hard way that yours is different. ;)

I am running 650's and my low setting are between -12% and -16% OMG

My high settting, on the other hand, are between -24% and -32%.

So as you can see, my car is "different" :D

If you have 550's and you're at -12% you will most likely be running rich, which is not a problem while you get your interface repaired. Enjoy :thumb:

Yea im running rich but i also know that im running with in the limits of the stock injectors too ( 15 lbs ) so i was thinking either eliminate them with the 18 % or just run stockers till later on what do you think about that ? or maybe back it too 15 % ? thanks

I can't comment any further.

As I said above, every car is different. I am running 650's and my low throttle setting are around -12%. They should be around -31%, but my FT's are balls on. My high throttle settings range from -26% to -37%. That was being tuned on a dyno with a WBO2 voltage of 11.3:1.

I'm not going to say that -18% is going to be safe, because no one knows without a logger/WBO2/etc. I would throw in the stockers until you can get some logging equipment.

spyderturbo007 said:
I can't comment any further.

As I said above, every car is different. I am running 650's and my low throttle setting are around -12%. They should be around -31%, but my FT's are balls on. My high throttle settings range from -26% to -37%. That was being tuned on a dyno with a WBO2 voltage of 11.3:1.

I'm not going to say that -18% is going to be safe, because no one knows without a logger/WBO2/etc. I would throw in the stockers until you can get some logging equipment.

thanks for the help

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back