The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Starter not catching the flywheel

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMRyan

15+ Year Contributor
May 20, 2005
Lacrosse, Wisconsin
The previous owner could never get his starter to work, so we thought it might just need a new one. Well after taking it out, it was fine and after we put it back in we noticed the noes of the starter isn't catching the flywheel so my car won't start. Anyone know what the problem might be? The parts all are from the same model so that can't be the problem. Thanks.

Thanks but I tried and the entire starter is working. I think the previous owner put the flywheel on backwards so I'm taking the tranny out tomorrow and switching it around. Hopefully this fixes it. :notgood:

I dunno bout location on 1g's but on 2g's it right in front(irrelivant) but to disconnect, all you do is disconnect the battery and wires, unbolt, and pull away. the starter only touches the flywheel upon start up, for a second max, just to get it goin.

Well I really can't get to the flywheel without pulling the tranny out it seems, even when the car is hoisted it's hard to get to. Has anyone done it in a 1g without taking the tranny out? It'd save me some time.

DSMRyan said:
Well I really can't get to the flywheel without pulling the tranny out it seems, even when the car is hoisted it's hard to get to. Has anyone done it in a 1g without taking the tranny out? It'd save me some time.
You cant get around not pulling the tranny to get to the flywheel.
Mike

i would have to say u might have the wrong flywheel. but chances are, because this happened to me, is the fact that the starter might be from the other type of transmission. i cant remember which is which, but one either auto or 5-speed, the nose on the starter is shorter, and on the other it is longer. i could see this happening if the starter in there was from the junkyard, otherwise im not sure, but check the flywheel, and also check to make sure the starter you have in there is also for the correct tranny.

Well after taking the tranny out today the back plate that sits behind the flywheel is all bent up. So I'm thinking this is what is stopping the starter from hitting the flywheel. I'm going to try to bend it back or cut some away. Then again, you may be right about the starter being wrong and not being long enough. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

EDIT: What is the real name for the "shield" or "plate" that sits behind the flywheel?

also the 91 is year specific, it has a smaller flywheel than the rest. thats why u need a clutch specific for a 91 and a starter specific for a 91 as well

Well my guess is that its the plate. I had the same problem when swapping an evoIII motor into my car. Because the AWD and FWD plates are different they make the starter sit in a different spot. After changing the plate my starter engaged just fine. Like he said above, were any swaps done? If so then I can almost guarantee that the plate is wrong, or like you said bent up too bad. :dsm: not sure what the actual name for the plate is but i think its rear plate... ;)

i would almost guarantee that the plate has nothin to do with it. i would suggest goin to checkers (thats where i got mine from) and bringing your starter with you, and compare your current starter to a new one of the correct tranny and compare the noses. i would almost guarantee that the new one will have a longer nose.

its possible that the previous owner may have done a tranny conversion, not knowing that the starter is different. huh idk, but go compare that starter to a new one and see if the nose is different. :thumb:

shane :dsm:

Thanks a lot everyone, all of those are definite possibilities. Does anyone know the actual length of the starter for the 91 talon non-turbo 5 speed? I have mine sitting right next to me and the entire thing is 8 inches. The nose itself is about 2 1/2.

The previous owner swapped the tranmision for a 90, or 91. So if it was a 90, then I would have to get a different flywheel and starter, or a 91 transmissoin, right? Could someone give me some insight please! :|

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back