How to use the Search Function to find info

Posted by Ludachris, Feb 21, 2005

Please Support Jackson Auto Machine
  1. Ludachris

Ludachris Founder & Zookeeper

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    How to Use the Search function on our site:

It's best to search for multiple keywords for any given topic. If you try searching for one or two keyword combos, you'll find that the results are overwhelming and sometimes not very relevant for what you're looking for. Try using unique keyword combinations that include terms that might also be used in the topic you're searching for. Avoid using single word searches that will return thousands of thread results. Using two or three word combinations works best. Also try using quotes around a couple keyword combinations, like "turbo repair", as that will return results for both keywords, not one or the other. And consider searching specific forums instead of all forums to narrow the results even more.

We also suggest searching the Thread Titles to find threads that are more relevant to the topic you're looking for. This means you'll only see results for threads that have the specific keywords you're looking for in the thread subject title.

Before searching all forums, be sure you've read through all the topics and searched in our DSM FAQ Forum:
    http://www.dsmtuners.com/forum/frequently-answered-dsm-questions.44/

Most general DSM questions have already been answered in our forums and can be found in our FAQ Forum. You can find the FAQ forum listed on our Forums index page. You can also find more tech info in our Tech Guide. After reading through both the Tech Guide and our DSM FAQ Forum and you still can't find the answer to your question, try doing a keyword search in the Forums. If you haven't found the answer doing that, only then should you post your question.

Please do us all a favor and look for the answer yourself before posting a question that has been answered countless times before. Posting a question that is clearly answered in our DSM FAQ Forum could get you suspended in the future. If you have questions on how to use the Search feature or find info on our site, please reply to this thread.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    My DSM:
    1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (sold)

Street Build

16g   manual
  2. GST with PSI

GST with PSI DSM Wiseman

Joined Jul 27, 2005
    Annapolis, Maryland
    Chris wrote his initial post here back when we were using a completely different website. Since then, our website has changed, and with it, the search has greatly improved. We've all been in threads where a new member asks a question that's been answered a thousand times before. We've all probably been the guy who simply says "Use the search", too. So, let's define how to do that effectively in our current environment. I'll outline some of the basic search features to that will hopefully enable all members to get the most out of their searches, and allow you to find what you're looking for quickly and easily.

For the most part, the search feature is pretty intuitive. Let's start out with the basic search function. Below is an image of the basic search box. This is the most basic search box, which will appear whenever you click in the search field displayed at the top of your page
    upload_2016-2-16_21-52-26.png

It's important to note, that as you navigate from the top level of the forum down into specific threads, the default search box has more options to select from. For example, here I'm viewing the "Forums" which renders the top level search box when you click in the search field.
    upload_2016-2-16_22-30-44.png

Here's a close up of the top level search box pictured above (It's also the same as the one first pictured). We'll go into the specific fields here in a minute.
    upload_2016-2-16_21-52-26.png

Now, notice I've navigated down one level from the "Forums" to the "420A DSM Tech" section. When I click on the search box, there are additional fields (check boxes) displayed. The "Search this forum only" field lets you to perform searches that will allow you to quickly confine your search results to the sub-forum you're currently in. Simply, if all you care about is finding an answer relating to your 420A specific question in the "420A DSM Tech" section of the forum, this feature will quickly allow you to do so.
    upload_2016-2-16_22-36-41.png

Here's a close up of the sub-forum level search box pictured above. Again, the addition of the "Search this forum only" and "Display results as threads" check boxes are added to the search box. The "Display results as threads" check box is pretty straight forward, and means exactly what it says. It's used in conjunction with "Search this forum only".
    upload_2016-2-16_22-34-57.png

OK, now I've navigated down another level from the "420A DSM Tech" section into a specific thread. And, once again, the search box will be populated with more fields. This is as specific as the "basic" search box will get. Meaning, these are the most search options you'll get until you go into the "Advanced" search function. Using the example from before, I could select the "Search this forum only" check box if all I cared about is finding an answer relating to a 420A specific question in the 420A section of the forum. Likewise, if I want to limit my search to a specific thread, I can select the "Search this thread only" check box, limiting my results only to those found in a specific thread.
    upload_2016-2-16_22-45-13.png

Here's a close up of the thread level search box pictured above. Notice the addition of the "Search this thread only" check box.
    upload_2016-2-16_21-59-36.png

Alright, now that we've covered the fields and what they mean, let's go over how to use them effectively.

We'll start with the "Search..." field itself. I think it goes without saying, just enter in the word, term, or phrase you wish to find and that's it. As you do this, try and limit the use of common words to narrow your results. For example, if I'm looking for information on "variable geometry turbos on DSMs", I'd probably start by simply searching for "geometry", since "variable", "turbos" and "DSM" could be words commonly found in unrelated posts. Use multiple unique keywords to further limit your search. Chris gives good examples of how to do effective keyword searches in his initial post here, so use that as a reference.

Next, use the "Search titles only" check box if you wish to only get results based on key words found in thread titles. This search will not look through thread content.

The "Posted by Member" feature in nice because it allows you to narrow your search to only posts made by a specific member. To populate this field, begin typing the screen name of the desired member. As you type, a list of members matching your characters should auto-populate the search field. Select the member you want, and conduct your search. You can select multiple members by comma separating their screen names.
    upload_2016-2-16_21-56-24.png

Lastly, the "Newer Than" feature will allow you to search from a specified past date to current. So, let's say you want only results from threads posted in the last year, rather than threads from 2006, you can specify that.
    upload_2016-2-16_23-44-33.png

That's pretty much it for the basic search feature. I'll cover the advanced search features in a later post.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    My DSM:
    1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4

Street Build

manual
    1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4

Street Build

12.030 @ 119.39 MPH
    1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST (sold)

16g   manual
    1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 (sold)

Street Build