The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Starter does not engage flywheel...why???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenTurbulence

Probationary Member
Apr 1, 2003
Gainesville, Florida
Hey all, I hope someone can help me with my problem. I just finished doing an engine swap in my 1996 Eclipse GST. The engine I just installed happens to be an engine that came off a Lancer Evo III imported from Japan. This is the 6-bolt cyclone engine with the yellow-headed 510 injectors and so on...now, the problem I'm facing is that when attempting to crank it up, I can hear the starter gear coming out and spinning, but it's not enough as to engage the flywheel and crank the engine up. I tried this with both a 2G starter and a regular 1G starter...does anyone know why this is happening? Am I going to need a starter off a Lancer Evo??? Any help is highly appreciated, I hope I can get rid of my problem soon. When push-starting the car, everything turns out to be great, it's just that the starter does not reach the flywheel teeth. Thanks.

Etien
'96 Green GST

Not familiar with the cyclone engine, but I do know there are flywheel sizing issues between AWD and FWD 1G cars. If you're sure the pinion gear is popping out and spinning I'd recommend checking that out.

As stated above, the flywheel could be wrong. AWD flywheels have a smaller diameter then FWD flywheels. The starter will come out but not engage the flywheel. That is most likely the problem.

Hello, I just bought a 90 Eagle Talon Tsi. This is my first DSM, and I am new to the car world, so any help is very welcome! I too am having the same problem. The starter works, I've tried many other starters yet they all do the same thing. I can hear it spin, but it won't engage. If it is the flywheel, how can you tell if the flywheel is for an AWD or FWD? Thank you for reading, I am looking forward for your advise.

Did you just do a motor swap or something? AWD trans won't fit over a FWD flywheel. Other than that you'll have to measure. I'm assuming you have a FWD car or you wouldn't be asking.

Did you just do a motor swap or something? AWD trans won't fit over a FWD flywheel. Other than that you'll have to measure. I'm assuming you have a FWD car or you wouldn't be asking.

It says GST in his profile AND in his post. A GST is FWD.

I 2nd (x10) that you're trying to use the smaller AWD flywheel in your FWD car.

Wow, it's been ages and about 9 cars since I've been here. When I received the notification email about today's replies I couldn't believe this thread was still active.

To make a long story short and put an end to it, I did end up taking the awd flywheel off the car and comparing it to the fwd flywheel - as previously stated the one from the awd car was smaller in diameter which prevented the starter from engaging. After installing the fwd flywheel on the car the problem was resolved and I enjoyed the car for about 2.5 years (and many modifications) until it was time to sell it. I still miss it sometimes!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back