The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1g Auto Slingshot Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holy crap, well your this deep into it man keep it going, I'm also looking forward to the dyno results

Thank you loyal fans, but the dyno never happened.

Came out this morning ready, just button up a few things, retorqued the head studs, start it up and let it warm up, and what's that noise?

About 2 minutes into idling, oil pressures about 35psi, all good, then I hear a faint tap tap tap noise. Sounded like something underneith. I immediately thought it was a flexplate bolt that maybe backed out and was touching the block or something. Checked it all and that looked fine. Really couldn't find anything, oil on the stick and in the head looks nice and clean, no leaks, no issues I could see.
Start it back up and it's getting louder, more of a deep tap/ knock sound still runs fine still sounds the same compression wise starting, just that noise. Now it's really loud especially at idle. This engine has maybe 8 miles on it total and no big power pulls. Pretty sure it spun a rod bearing but I was honestly too damn disheartened to pull the pan today. It's not going to make the event anyways so no rush.

The machine shop assembled the internals of the short block, I did all the other assembly, but honestly, I've done a ton of these builds for customers and never had any issues. I know hundreds of these engines that have come from this machine shop, and they have been fine. I may just have the worst luck.

So here's the plan. I have a very limited budget on the car but I want to start by getting at least one of these trans' built and when it gets back, I may pull this engine and take it down there. I got the headgasket sealed great, but I may give them a new head and run no receiver grooves with a mls, as I keep hearing good things about that.

I'll keep yall posted. Don't worry, no part out in the plans, just would have been nice to enjoy the car at least a little before having to go through all this again.

dude... this breaks my heart. after everything, this happens?? seriously you are a trooper. i feel for ya, and hope things can start looking up for you.

is the shop going to look at the short block for you?

dude... this breaks my heart. after everything, this happens?? seriously you are a trooper. i feel for ya, and hope things can start looking up for you.

is the shop going to look at the short block for you?
Yeah, they will but considering going with a different machine shop. Really don't want to but after the insert debacle, just tired of going the that place.

Yeah, they will but considering going with a different machine shop. Really don't want to but after the insert debacle, just tired of going the that place.

well maybe you can get some money back out of it, or they might fix whatever issue for free? i understand the frustration tho. i hope you can get some kind of kick back tho. one of the cleanest builds ive seen and i feel like you need a boost to get back on top of this

"If you perceive that there are four possible ways in which something can go wrong, and circumvent these, then a fifth way, unprepared for, will promptly develop."

Murphy drove a DSM.

When you pull the pan, can you post pics of what you find, if anything?
Sure can.
I'm pretty sure they will fix it for free, but doing all that work again just to get it to them bare, then all that reassembly! I really am thinking there is something going on. From the JAM engine failure, I changed the oil cooler, this is a different block but the same head and crank. I have another crank, maybe I'll throw It in there, also I'm going to delete the oil cooler. Just trying to eliminate anywhere there could still be an issue.

Not yet, still haven't looked at it, have a lot going on at the shop. I'll try to get to it ASAP and try to get it ready for October IFO maybe

read your whole build here and man, you have some real commitment. I shouldn't say anything considering my trans coupler issues the last couple months. Hope your engine woes are resolved.

All I can input here is that I've had good luck with orings and composite gaskets. I've also had good luck with cometic sprayed with copper spray. Both using L19s. I will also mention that I have had some crazy tuning issues that should have torched these gaskets, but they hold well.

To respond to why your spring pressure is lower now vs before would be due to the larger hotside IMO.

Looking forward to your results. Especially on this turbo. I'm doing the same except with a 62 mm rather. I don't like too big of changes all at once. Might even go back to stock cams (possibly retarded)to see how the turbo and portwork impact times since I ran the 9.5 with them initially

Good luck, I'm pulling for you to make some good passes soon.

Been forever and have had life get in the way but the engine should be back from the machine shop next week. Also talked with Darren Thomas and he is building a trans for me . So if I can catch a break for once, maybe the car will be back together within about 6 weeks

IMG_6511.JPG
Here's the only pic I took of the engine before I sent it off. Dinged up rod bearing.

It will get there just be patient. What was the issue with the rod bearings? I thought you had a coolant issue?
Got a whole new block to fix the coolant issue . Then was loading the car onto the trailer to go tune it and it started knocking !! Crazy .

IMG_7168.JPG
IMG_7171.JPG
Started assembly of the engine . Also got a trans built by Darren Thomas while it was all out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back