1. DSMtuners is now running on a new server. If you experience any errors or problems using the site, please post a thread in the Site Feedback forum describing the issue and the URL where it took place. Screenshots are also useful.

1g Auto Slingshot Build

Posted by 1SIC1Gb, Mar 26, 2013
DSM Build Journals - Start a Journal to document your DSM build and document race events, dyno days, etc for the car.

Please Support Strictly Performance Motorsports
  1. 1SIC1Gb

1SIC1Gb Proven Member Houston, Texas

DSM Profiles:
    IMG_7255.JPG Tried my hand at wrapping the manifold with fiberglass. Didn't do a very good job and it took forever but hopefully it'll keep the temps down . There was a few areas that the pipes were so close together that the wrap couldn't make it in between which made it tricky .
    Still think it looks better than no wrap

2. 1SIC1Gb

DSM Profiles:
    So yesterday I noticed the cooling system pressure was a bit high and went ahead and changed the headgasket before the dyno.

Dyno day is here!!
    Went to the dyno, took it slow with the tune and had 0 issues until about 32psi when it pushed all the coolant out of the overflow.
    So we let it cool off completely and retorqued the studs. Surprisingly it actually helped a lot. It pushed coolant still but much slower. We could make about 5 full 3rd gear pulls before the overflow was full.
    They explained to me that it would not make as much power as last time because they had just recalibrated for the dyno. So ended up making 572whp on 42psi. Haven't ran it on the street yet but I'm going to guess that a good bit more power than last time with the bigger housing and 5psi more boost. I felt like we were pushing our luck so I had him stop there. Going to retorque again tomorrow and see how it goes on the street. Really hoping to get a 9 sec pass out of it.

3. 1SIC1Gb

DSM Profiles:
    IMG_7332.JPG IMG_7346.JPG Some photos of the race exhaust that the guys at FIST Racing fab'd up for me. And yes the tractor flap is badass.

iugrad92turbo and Paintballaa5 like this.
  4. GST with PSI

GST with PSI DSM Wiseman Annapolis, Maryland

DSM Profiles:
    Pure dedication here. I gotta say, I've been ready to throw in the towel after wayyy less than you've experienced.

Good luck at the track, dude.

Kapok6 and 1SIC1Gb like this.
  5. 1SIC1Gb

DSM Profiles:
    Thank you. A 9 second pass will really motivate me. Still baffled by the fact that it is pushing coolant after the oring setup but hopefully some retorques will keep it together for a bit .

GST with PSI likes this.
  6. boostdawd

boostdawd Proven Member phoenix, Arizona

DSM Profiles:
    Very nice build sir. Those pink twinnies look awesome. How do u have the wastegate lines routed? Rubber lines to a t then a boost controller?

1SIC1Gb likes this.
  7. tametalon92

tametalon92 Proven Member spokane, Washington

DSM Profiles:
    Straight hater-pipe :hellyeah: Roadkill approved :thumb:

Makes me wonder if that head is getting soft, You said you've milled it quite a few times right?

8. 1SIC1Gb

DSM Profiles:
    Correct.

9. 1SIC1Gb

DSM Profiles:
    Yes and that's what I'm thinking too. The head has been through a lot for sure

10. 1SIC1Gb

DSM Profiles:
    Here's one of the pulls. LONG 3rd gear to 175mph and 9800rpm

Type1DSMr likes this.
  11. b00stedtalon2

b00stedtalon2 Proven Member Royal Oak, Michigan

DSM Profiles:
    Track soon? Looks like she running good!

12. 1SIC1Gb

DSM Profiles:
    Yeah, they do friday nights here where you can run test and tune so here in the next few weeks ill get out there. Ill try to get an in car video from a passenger on the street. Its a real handful even with the welded diff.

13. 1SIC1Gb

DSM Profiles:

Setting up the staging . 20psi on the brakes with timing pulled way back. 35 shot dry to get on the converter.

14. boostdawd

boostdawd Proven Member phoenix, Arizona

DSM Profiles:
    :D:dsm::hellyeah: This made my day

1SIC1Gb likes this.
  15. iugrad92turbo

iugrad92turbo Proven Member Kalamazoo, Michigan

DSM Profiles:
    This build stills shows the test of time of this platform when I started 20 years ago I never thought I would still possess these cars.

1SIC1Gb likes this.
  16. 1SIC1Gb

DSM Profiles:
    Tried some launches today. Have it set to 20psi on the foot brake and it holds. Doesn't leave crazy hard which is good for now as it shouldn't break anything on the launch but fast enough to hopefully get into the 9s.

A lot of people claim to have 9 second cars or have a buddy that had one but until you ride in one, they never realize how fast that really is. I've given several people rides in the past week and all of them are kind of speechless. Love the reactions. Definitely missed driving the car. Have a little under 100 miles total on the engine now so I'm getting more confident in it.

17. iugrad92turbo

iugrad92turbo Proven Member Kalamazoo, Michigan

DSM Profiles:
    Another sick build I love the color scheme.

18. bastarddsm

bastarddsm Proven Member Mendota, Illinois

DSM Profiles:
    Ain't that the truth! While I haven't run 9's my car definatly pulls like one, and everyone who thinks theyve been in a fast car, are speechless. LOL.

1SIC1Gb likes this.
  19. 1SIC1Gb

DSM Profiles:
    Yeah I seem to have a lot of my cousin has or my buddy has a 9 second car . Then they ride in it and say it must be a 8second car. Haha. Really wish I had my GoPro still to make a compilation .

20. b00stedtalon2

b00stedtalon2 Proven Member Royal Oak, Michigan

DSM Profiles:
    Glad she's holding up man! Looking forward to seeing some track results :)

1SIC1Gb likes this.
  21. Vegas smith

Vegas smith Proven Member Houston, Texas

DSM Profiles:
    It's like the Kevin Bacon game. How many steps does it take to get to someone who has a 9 second foxbody or something.

1SIC1Gb likes this.
  22. 1SIC1Gb

DSM Profiles:
    It would appear that the pushing coolant is getting worse and rather than screw it up, im going a different route.

Ive got a new machine shop thats somewhat local that is very experienced in oringing/ high hp applications.
    So now I have new oring/receiver specs i will be using as well as running a full filled block, welded head deck (coolant) and running an external meziere water pump for the head.
    No more coolant issues, I am absolutely tired of dealing with them.

So for now, next week im going to tear it all apart again, and take it to them. They said 6 weeks and itll be done. So the big push here is to make Streetcar takeover here in houston in october. That should give me plenty of time to get it all back together and turned up/ tested before the event.

Standby loyal fans.

DetroitStroker likes this.
  23. bastarddsm

bastarddsm Proven Member Mendota, Illinois

DSM Profiles:
    Man the though luck you have. I hope you finally get a pass out of this thing!

24. 1SIC1Gb

DSM Profiles:
    Yeah I know. Pretty optimistic about this new direction but a little pissed I have to pull apart a running car again.

25. 1SIC1Gb

DSM Profiles:
    IMG_7412.JPG Lots of changes happening while the car is down for the engine work.
    1. We are cutting the front end off the car and making it tubular to make it easier to work around and drop some weight.
    2. Ive ordered the carbinetics front bumper, fenders, hood, roof, doors, and hatch in fiberglass. The body needs so much work it almost pays for itself having all new panels when I go paint it.
    3. Picked up some kirkey seats off Craigslist brand new for 200.00. Going to get those installed and drop all the seat weight and auto belt weight.
    4. Of coarse the engine is getting filled and reworked.
    5. Electric water pump setup is here. Went with a meziere unit because they have great reliability. So I have to get that all welded up and installed as well.

So big changes and probably 300lbs of weight out of the car.

DetroitStroker likes this.