The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Single digit Auto 1g street/strip build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adding some strength to the front subframe with two diagonal supports. I really have no idea if this will help, but it can't hurt. I'll be welding on two tabs near the control arm spots for a detachable cross bar with heim joint ends (i'll add photos once I finish that).

38875926464_ac33b09271_c.jpg

38875927374_c18224b94c_c.jpg

Last edited:
looking good scott. cant wait to see what else you have in store for this coming season.
Thank you sir! hopefully only good things.

Looks good! Will the axles still fit around those braces?
Thank you! Yes, the braces I made are behind the rack. The axles are in front and pretty far away.

I see them now. Was looking at the wrong ones. I still feel like giving one of these subframes a shot even with all the drama that follows them around.
id try to find a used one or second hand one. I can tell you from dealing with josh at true street was a chore once he received payment on parts he told me he had "in stock".

Yeah they don't fit, and will fail if used on a real street car. That's my big problem with these, it's really hard to make a tubular piece that will save weight and have the structural integrity of a stock piece. In a race car it's not a big deal, they don't see the loads of general street use, nor the cycle's necessary to create a fatigue failure. There's a lot of guys blatantly ignoring good design practice when making parts like this. - You can't overbuild your way out of a bad enough design flaw.

Sorry to run your thread off course Scott.

There were a lot of fitment issues through the years with his subframes. I can't comment on his customer service as I got these from a friend who parted out his car. These are is his latest version that corrects those fitment issues (he built these units in late 2017). There were also other complaints from people including the steering rack flexing (corrected by mounting with tube instead of flat plate). Someone else mentioned that the control arm area had some flex (he now includes a cross bar and that is also why I added in those supports). This new version has 2pc control arms as well. The only issue we found in the rear was the left rear wheel had some positive toe, but that is a simple adjustment if you already have the Jay Racing active toe eliminators.

I'm pretty confident it'll work perfectly fine for me and what I do with my car. I could have waited and purchased the known good units that people sell, however these landed in my hand from a local friend. I'm always up for taking on a project and improving it while adding some new skills (notching and welding tube for instance). I would guess the first item to go on a street car after a lot of miles and abuse on these would be the heim joints. Overall i'm pretty happy with the quality. Total weight savings with both front and rear is 77lbs (47 front/30 rear).

Here's the test fitment photos from the car these came off of. Zero issues with fitment.

39619268352_56fd2154d8_o.jpg

I do not recommend these if you don't have the ability to improve or make changes to them yourself if needed. If you can and don't mind a little extra work to make sure things are perfect, then these are a great option for the price.

If you want units that are proven to bolt in and go (for a 1g), then I recommend the following:
-Justin Barnes Front
-Bruce Williams Rear
-Paul Volk Rear (in development & ready for production by spring 2018 IIRC)

Last edited:
doesn't look like it fits too terrible. the front I might do later on to mine. the rear Ive been kinda eyeballing recently. ive also contemplated tubing the front of mine as well.

Make sure thats find strand wire. I found out after I was done most sellers have the course strand txl/gxl, and it likes to fail in automotve enviroments.
Good info. I'll have to look closer and see how it looks. It's pretty flexible so i'd assume its fine but we'll see.

Yeah, if it just a little bit of wiring you do, nbd. I did an entire engine harness, with lots of extras for datalogging. :(
Yeah, i'm not doing a full harness or anything. That really sucks!

Scott I like the diagram you did that yourself.
Thank you. I did all the diagrams myself except for one or two. I try document everything and stay organized.

Last edited:
Does it always surge like that? That's wild sounding. Good power! Joliet and STL are comming soon!
I can never hear it from the inside, but yes. It's the wastegates fluttering because i'm only using the side ports. Once I control them with both they won't do that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back