The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

1g Auto Slingshot Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The 3000gt guys mill out the area under the fire ring, weld it solid and deck the head. There is still plenty of water running through the heads, but the head deck is much less likely to flex.

A local shop here in DFW that cut their teeth on the 4G platform back in the day will do that with 4G heads.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Back again. New block, inserts turned out great this time. Going to try to get it in the car and ready for tx2k. We will see if it makes it.
Only change is going from a 12cm^2 housing to a 16cm^2 housing. We will see what that does to it.

image.jpg
Engine is in, waiting on a few fittings from extremepsi and it will be ready to start.

This engine is the hardest by far to install that I've ever dealt with. Solid mounts in all but one doesn't leave you much wiggle room.
So this time I tried it with the trans still in the car and it turns out.... It's about the same, totally sucked ... Haha

Crap man I have some bad luck.
Trans stopped working after 5 miles. Looks like a planetary bearing came apart. Luckily I've been hoarding these things and had a spare. Put it in today and so far so good.
image.jpg

That sucks stick with it I never give up it breaks in fix it more than I wanted too seeing the ultimate goal in sight.

I believe so. There was little pieces of bearing in the pan. Have to tear it apart and see what's up. But for now, as always, it's a mad scramble to get her ready for tx2k. Haven't missed one yet and don't intend to.
the needle bearing?

It's not always easy, but the feeling when it all works, and the memories of how you got to this point make it all worth the hassle. The great memories I've had with friends putting the car together will always be there in my mind, even the worst of times I can now look back at and smile knowing that it's not about what's happening today, but the journey that brought me here.

New trans is no good. Well at least the pump isn't flowing. Going to pull it again tomorrow. Completely disassembled my race valvebody and cleaned it to throw in this as well as a pump, and I'm replacing the forward clutches with some I have here just in case the low pressure affected them.

Side note I also did a leak down test and the headgasket is pushing coolant..... I reused this copper gasket per SCEs instructions, so I'm looking at either a new copper or something else that will work with the oring setup.
image.jpg

$35 felpro and done
Not quite. Not with the O rings .

I finally got the trans all seated, getting all the clutches lined up proved to be a real pain. Took apart 3 trans' and used the best parts from each to make one.
Bad news is my Bradco converter needed to go back, there was a bearing I could move around with my fingers inside of it. Sent him the pictures and he said to send it to him. Very helpful guy, he should have it Monday. So for now, I'm going to throw a stock converter in and get it all hopefully sorted out. Best hope now for making tx2k is to have all the other issues completed, then get this Bradco back and in before the event. It's a stretch but maybe it will work out.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Added some pictures from Bradco .

Ok, update. So Bradco has my converter, turns out the stator broke so internally it was pretty much done. He is making me a new one and getting it back to me ASAP. Very helpful guy, really happy that he is so helpful. I guess I had one of his early converters that still used the aluminum stator. Has ones now are steel and way stronger.

Headgasket wise, I have another copper coming tomorrow, if I can't get that to work, I will get a new head and go no receiver grooves. Hoping I don't have to do all that though .

Last edited:
image.jpg
image.jpg
Bradco came through on the converter and got me one in a week. Awesome!
Spent all night working on the car and got the trans all back in and everything bolted up.
FIST racing is helping out doing my downpipe modification. Had to modify it to a new vband flange and also this turbine housing shifted it a bit. So good news from them today as they are done with it. Gonna get all the turbo setup from them tomorrow and hopefully get to test her out tomorrow. Lot of question marks, trans and headgasket being the big hurdles. Hoping for the best . Less than a week before the event and scrambling as always . Still need to get on the dyno too. Crap.

Man you guys aren't even going to believe .. Got the trans all bolted in and there's no 2nd gear at all also no 4th. Seems there's some problem with the kickdown servo/band.
Was all ready to throw in the towel, since tx2k is this weekend . Looking through some old pictures of when I went 10.8 at the track. The trans I was running back then was painted black, just a junkyard find. Last time it ran was at the track and all was well, so it was tested. Looked around and finally found it stuffed under a bunch of crap.

So you guessed it, changed the damn trans again today. Crazy. Just finished it up and the test drive went well! No issues . Going to give it a good drive tomorrow and if all jus well, get in the dyno and try to run it! Fingers crossed guys. Needing this to go well.

Well came out to the garage to about 7 quarts of atf on the floor! What a freaking mess. Couldn't figure out what the hell happened so I jacked it up and started it. Literally poured fluid out as fast as I could pour it in. Coming from the bell housing . Looked closer and could tell it was the converter seal leaking, so I said hell with it, pulled the trans again, pulled the seal and the pump bushing which is behind it and supposed to be pressed on just came right out with my fingers. Pulled one out of my spare pump and pressed it in, new seal and reinstall. You can imagine after 6 full trans replacements my hands are pretty busted.

Drove it about 10 miles today, no issues at all. On the call list for dyno so I'll wrap up a few small things tomorrow, load it on the trailer and wait for the call. Good news though I backed out the boost controller all the way and did a few pulls and the boost goes right to 20psi and holds , which it should with these gate springs. For whatever reason on the old housing, which is all I changed, it would pull 34psi on wastegate. Not sure the reason, maybe someone with some better turbo knowledge can chime in.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back