The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Wiring Harness question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McSteveGsxy

Probationary Member
Oct 16, 2010
Knoxville, Tennessee
Would i have any problems installing a 95tsi awd harness into my 99gsx? Witch has a JDM 7bolt installed with the cas on the driver side. This is the reason i went this route. But i have read conflicting opinions on a tsi harness in a gsx? I do know from looking at the harness that the grounding points are diffrent. Will this be an issue or will it ground out alright? Thanks for any info or advice.

I've come across some 2ga vs 2gb differences over the years:

1) CAS is in different place as you know (95-96 behind intake cam gear, 97-99 on passenger side intake cam shaft). 95-96 CAS has signal inverted where 97-99 doesn't.

2)The starter relay and theft alarm starter relay have a different pinout/connector. Starter relay part number is different on 95-97 vs 98-99.

3)The 95 has FP and MFI relays in same relay can where 96-99 has separate relays.

4)95-98 has a FP check connector where 99 doesn't.

5)Fuel vapor charcoal canister is most likely in a different place (my 99 GST has it in the gas tank! Others have it under battery or under left headlight or next to gas tank or in gas tank - doesn't seem to be any consistancy as to where it appears. It often doesn't even agree with the Mitsu factory manuals for that model/year.). Of course this usually isn't a harness issue although the evap emission purge solenoid valve may then be in a different place.

6) 95 usually has an eprom ECU where 96-99 doesn't.

7) 97-99 has 4 ABS channels where 95-96 has 2.

8) 98-99 has a fuel tank diff pressure sensor and evap emission vent solenoid where 95-97 doesn't have either.

Thanks for your response everything you mentioned was new to me and may be very useful info. I have a 99gsx so i would think that my fule vapor canister would be in the gastank aswell. But this motor is not a stock motor. I've made it as stock as i could just to get it started because i have a mechanic working on it with me (he does most of the work) and i dont want to confuse him or create any additional work for him. But as soon as its finnished I will start throwing all these preformance parts that i have collected for the past 2 1/2 years including DSMlink, exhaust, turbo, ect....
One thing i do know is that i have a couple extra connecters left over and i dont know what they are for? My main goal is to have this thing Started and tuned before May 10th. So I can go to this Texas DSM shootout!! Hopefully we can get this harness to work and get this thing started! Thanks for your reply and any others.

another issue i had when we put a 95-96 harness in a 97+ was the windshield wiper plug wasnt long enough or something weird with that possibly different style connector. Depending with the Cam Angle Sensor (CAS) is on your motor either the timing belt side on the intake cam or if you have the 97+ style on the intake cam but opposite side of the timing belt you will have to extend the wires for the CAS or you will have to swap plugs and/ or some people do some dont the injectors also to run the 97+ ECU

I have a 98 eclipse gst and im in need of a engine bay wiring harness and the only one ive found in unmolested condition is for a 97 gst. Will i have to do any mods to make it work? Ther both 4g63 motors

ok thanks, I wasn't trying to be repeditive just was sure if we were on the same page. I am very new to the dsm world and all the abbreviations and initials are still very confusing to me. Thanks for the contact info for an oppurtunity to find the correct harness for my project

I have been noticing white smoke at high rpm and at shift change. I have checked the entire intake for leaks and everything is snug. I have found a small leak around the valve cover but would that cause the smoke at shift change?

Thank you for the info. I'm not trying to sound stupid but how do I do a leak down test.
Also in the past week I have noticed that my car seems to be holding back rpms. I know that sounds wierd but I don't know how else to discribe it., It feels like right before shift change that the rpms are slugish. The motor doesn't bogg down or anything but it just doesnt feel right. And I know that it was suggested that the coolant is whats causing the white smoke but it smells like oil, and some times when I really get on it the smoke comes out from under the hood too. The kid that I purchased this car from was a moron and treated this dsm like crap. I'm just trying to bring it back to life. Maybe I should call my car frankinstien!!!

I don't wunna start a new thread soo maybe you gentleman can help. I'm installing a 97 gst engine harness in a 96 gs spyder. Everything except 4 wires fit in. And I can't seem to find a diagram for either harness. The problem is in the center console. Any help would be appreciated.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back