1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Wire Tucking Basics

Posted by spyderdrifter, Jul 2, 2020

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
  1. spyderdrifter

spyderdrifter Freelancer

Joined Jul 11, 2009
    Fountain, Colorado
    I will be soon doing a wire tuck on my car. I have the engine and trans back in for mock up purposes to get lengths and overall figure out how I want to run all the wires. I know many have to be cut down or extended. Can I go a gauge bigger on wires that may be brittle due to age and don't know the specific gauge? Such as if a wire is 18 gauge, can I just replace the entire piece with 16 and be fine? Also saw something like this involving the alternator. Does the entire alternator section need to be a bigger gauge due to being extended?

2K  2

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  3

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  5

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    automatic · 2G DSM
  2. Rick_4g63

Rick_4g63 Supporting Member

Joined Nov 25, 2011
    Palmdale, California
    Going from an 18 to 16 gauge should be fine. Just make sure whatever you solder, cut, or expose is covered and protected from the elements. I have a minor wire tuck, and a battery trunk relocation using a 0 gauge. I haven't had any issues with the car.

1K  7

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    488 whp · 389 lb/ft · 1G DSM

46  2

1998 Mitsubishi Montero (Winter Package)
    awd · automatic · Misc Vehicles
    spyderdrifter likes this.
  3. spyderdrifter

spyderdrifter Freelancer

Joined Jul 11, 2009
    Fountain, Colorado
    Another question. I've seen on some that the TPS is flipped 180* so the connector attaches from the bottom instead of the top. Is this fine and keeps the same reading from the throttle? Is there anything to be careful with in flipping the sensor?

2K  2

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  3

awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  5

automatic · 2G DSM
  4. 91talonts1

91talonts1 Proven Member

Joined Dec 29, 2008
    Spencer, North Carolina
    Yes you can flip the TPS and it works exactly the same with no issues. Been running mine that way for over a decade. Only thing to watch out for is when installing you get the tabs of TPS positioned on the proper side of the tabs on the throttle. But that goes for either direction you install the TPS

Drag Race Build 4K  15

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  5. miguelmcv

miguelmcv Supporting Member

Joined May 3, 2009
    Fresno, California
    I have run it the same way, my purpose of it is to hide the wiring and this way being the connector on the bottom side, it does helps hiding and running the harness to the back of the intake (if wanted).

Street Build 846  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM

3K  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  6. spyderdrifter

spyderdrifter Freelancer

Joined Jul 11, 2009
    Fountain, Colorado
    Thanks guys. That's what I had figured, but wanted to be sure first.

2K  2

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  3

awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  5

automatic · 2G DSM