The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Will 3000gt VR4 2pot REAR calipers/rotors bolt onto a 2G?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96rsSTBRWD

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 5, 2008
Myrtle Beach, South_Carolina
I still have not gotten an answer from any of the searches. I NEED to know if the REAR 'mitsubishi' calipers/rotors off of the 1994+ 3000gt vr4 will bolt onto the rear of a 2G DSM.

I know that the 3000gt SL calipers are direct bolt ons. But ive already got the 4 piston VR4 front calipers on the way. I am dying to find a rear brake upgrade and a matching set is ideal.

I've also been looking for an adapter plate for the rear to see if anyone makes them(just in case the rear calipers dont fit) but no results so far. I don't know if the lack of results is a good or bad thing.

ONCE AGAIN: JUST LOOKING FOR RESULTS CONCERNING THE REAR BRAKES!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the 2pot calipers would fit? I know the evo 8 2 pot brembos fit without any modification except to the dust shield, but will these or the 1g 3000gt vr4 rear brakes fit??

Really, nobody has the answer or a link to this information!? I've looked all over this site and googled for days and can't find anything. I already got the 3000gt vr4 front brakes and could get my hands on the rears but I need to know if its possible to install without major modification.

I think what MidShipCivic is trying to say is that if the SL owners upgrade to the VR4 stuff, and the SL stuff fits for us then the VR4 stuff should also fit. But I may have misunderstood, that's just what I took from his post.

I think what MidShipCivic is trying to say is that if the SL owners upgrade to the VR4 stuff, and the SL stuff fits for us then the VR4 stuff should also fit. But I may have misunderstood, that's just what I took from his post.

You may be right, but all I saw from MidShipCivic is that they "upgrade". What I want to know is what is needed for this upgrade or would it be just a straight bolt-on like the Evo8 rear brakes.

Thank you both MidShipCivic and squeak104...thats the type of information I was looking for you guys rock:hellyeah::hellyeah:.
Now just one question remains as both links only refer to the NA 3000gt upgrading. I just want to make sure the 3000gt NA and our Eclipses use the same rear brake configuration (knuckles, rotor size etc...). Thanks again guys for the answers:thumb:

I'm in the middle of this conversion as well. Updates on progress and what all you find out is appreciated.

I do know the 3k vr4 rears are 14 cm from mounting hole center to center. thats just a hair over 5.5" My rears on my tsi are 5.5" so thinking its a direct bolt on situation. I have my brakes ordered and on the way. Now the questions are what rotors. ASA program would be useful to find part numbers and cross reference.

Okay so after some more research I found that the VR4 rear calipers BOLT ON to the FWD 3kgt rear knuckles, but the rotors for the VR4 cannot be used with the FWD 3kgt or eclipse in-rotor e-brake setup. However FWD 3kgt rotors can be used on an eclipse if the calipers do bolt up to our rear end but there will be a few mm's of unused pad from the smaller FWD 3kgt rotor diameter compared to the VR4.

I've also found that the Eclipse's front and rear caliper mounting bolt spacing is 130mm. Anyone know the exact 3kgt VR4 spacing???

ONLY 2G ECLIPSE! i don't know if the 1g is the same.

Last edited:
the vr4 rear rotors and calipers are bolt on for 2g rear backing plate. the mounting point of the caliper have different offset but thats easily corrected with some washers

the vr4 rear rotors and calipers are bolt on for 2g rear backing plate. the mounting point of the caliper have different offset but thats easily corrected with some washers

Thank you so much, YOUR AWESOME! Is that your car? What rotors did you use, OEM 3000GT, or EVO 8-9? Cause idk if the rear 3kgt Vr4 rotors work with our internal ebrake setup. I always thought that the vr4 rotor was too small for our brake shoes???

Last edited:
96rsSTBRWD I've been searching still and the rear 2piston calipers are a direct fit. You need to use eclipse rotors due to the e-brake setup, the only thing is that the brake pads will be a little bigger but that should not pose a problem in terms of braking force.

See the 3rd-to-last picture in this link to see the "un-used" amount of pad I'm referring to:

3SX Performance - 3000GT / Stealth FWD Brake Conversion#-#Mitsubishi 3000GT#/#Dodge Stealth Parts

Also I'm not sure if you're aware but only the 2G 3000gt VR4 rear calipers are 2 pot, the 1G are 1 piston (although they also have "Mitsubishi" engraved on them)

96rsSTBRWD I've been searching still and the rear 2piston calipers are a direct fit. You need to use eclipse rotors due to the e-brake setup, the only thing is that the brake pads will be a little bigger but that should not pose a problem in terms of braking force.

See the 3rd-to-last picture in this link to see the "un-used" amount of pad I'm referring to:

3SX Performance - 3000GT / Stealth FWD Brake Conversion#-#Mitsubishi 3000GT#/#Dodge Stealth Parts

Also I'm not sure if you're aware but only the 2G 3000gt VR4 rear calipers are 2 pot, the 1G are 1 piston (although they also have "Mitsubishi" engraved on them)

But the 3ksgt requires a bigger rotor than the stock Eclipse. I think just over 11" like the Evo 8-9 with the 12.65" rotors up front.

I have rear 1g 3000gt VR4 calipers and rotors on my 2g. They are larger rotors and bolt on perfectly. You need to trim your dust shields is all

Just something new to throw into this. I did the rear conversion and all I did was take the dust sheilds off, ground some caliper mounting ear clearance on the e brake housing, Installed 2g 3kgt vr4 TT rear rotors, Matched up the 2g 3kgt vr4 TT calipers center line with the rotors braking surface center line measured and made some spacers. It all installed perfectly with no "un-used pad surface". I also still have my Ebake! My spacers ended up being .310" thick if that helps anyone. I think it was 7/8" stock I used. I cut and drilled it on a lathe so it would be square and true.

Last edited:
Which 1g 3kgt parts? 3kgt vr4 Twin turbo or the SL? The SL rotor will work but like in the above link you will have "un-used" brake pad material. I went with the 2g because they are dual piston rears. The spacers are easy to make and the 2g rears look so much better than the 1g. Yes looks are important to me but performance and function are too. A nice looking aluminum caliper (heat dissapation), full brake surface contact, and Ebrake still functional sounds good to me.

I got brackets for the front from tuners nation. The thing is you have to use the 1g front calipers with the bracket to be able to use the 2g rotor. Thats what they designed the brackets for. I'm using 2g calipers on the front as well. That put me in the boat of searching tons of specs on rotors to find dimensions that match up with minimal machining. I used 08 lexus gs350 front rotors but had to machine the hub. The bolt pattern matches up but the lexus uses a bigger lug. The rotors off an 08 volvo was an option as well with very little having to be machined on the hub but you would have to redrill for the lugs.

The 1g vr4 calipers, rotors,and mounting brackets I used were all oem from a 1g 3000gt vr4. I fitted them perfectly onto my 98 GSX with no spacers or special parts needed. I had to cut my rear dust shields is all

What brackets did you get? I would like to see some pics. Maybe some part numbers too. :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back