The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Where is the low side to add freon? [Merged 6-7] A/C refrigerant pressure fill valve

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LextownGST

Probationary Member
Oct 30, 2005
Lexington, Kentucky
ok guys, Im a girl so I need a little help with this please. I drive a 1998 mitsu eclilpse GS-T and I am trying to add freon so that my air conditioning will be cool. I found the High side on the top at the right but I can't find the low side. I know its towards the back around the firewall I think. Is there a diagram or can someone explain to me about where its at?? Next to the compressor or what? And also is it supposed to have the little cap on it that says "L" like the "H" does. Thanks guys.... Please respond fast I'm really trying to fix this within the next hour and a half!! I appreciate it!! Thanks again!!

It's WAY down in the engine bay back behind the block. You either need little hands or be very creative to get down to it. follow the AC line to the compressor, and then follow that line off, and you'll see it. both my H and L had an aqua colored cap on them.

Assuming it's the same on a 2G it's not really that hard to get to. Stand on the drivers side of your engine bay and point towards the intake manifold. Now move your arm a few degrees lower. You're pointing at it. :D

I have a 93 Talon. The low side is on the compressor just to the left of the one wire connection that is on the compressor.

It should be looking right at you when you find it.

There are two hoses that go into the compressor. The one you are looking for is the bigger one.

This is why it's handy to have a Hayness or Chilton repair manual :D.
But on the other side I have a question... Don't you have to have a license inorder to buy, or even handle freeon?

Thanks to all of our tree hugging friends, you can buy freon only if you are a liscensed A/C tech and then only in 40lb. tanks and signing over you first born.

You can buy R134a over the counter( Walmart,auto stores,etc.). You need to buy a kit which includes the R134a,charging hose and new couplers which screw right on top of the old freon charging connections.

It's easy to do and works fine.

I am about to do an A/C recharge, but I cannot find the LOW port, I can only see the HIGH port. Where exactly is the LOW port located?

I tried searching and could not find an answer on this..

If you're dainty enough, reach down below the master cylinders, 'way the hell down behind the dark side of the block. To determine exactly how far down it is, measure your recharge line and add 3/8ths of an inch. Or, see how far your arm will stretch, and add a half-inch. It's right at the compressor. I'd supply a picture, but it's never been seen by the human eye. You'll find your arm will slide down there more easily once it's been slickened by the freshets of blood loosed by the edge of one of the myriad of sharp, unseen clip, sheet metal and tie-wrap ends on the way to it.

When the plant in Normal was blown up, there was a whole chapter about this specific thing in the bomber's diary. Oh, wait. That's not 'till next week.

Yup, I found it.. Pain in the ass to get to.. the hose JUST reached.. A/C is working now. The only thing is, it seems to make this hissing sound inside the car in the passenger side. I don't know if it always does that, I''ve only used the A/C once or twice in the year that I've had the car. If you turn on just the fan there is no noise, but when you turn on the A/C you here this hissing noise.. Any ideas?

I'm just got my talon and the a/c is not cold.

I located the large hose (high pressure side) , but cannot see to find the the low pressure port.

Can anyone help me out.

damn thanks,

There is a port on the compressor.

That is the first car I have seen this on the compressor.

My evo has two lines one on the driver side and one on the passenger side.

Well, they don't hate Evo owners. You'll also find the DSM connection is 2" beyond the reach of the longest hose you buy. As though a grown human could fit a hand down there in the first place.

I tried to refill it but it didn't work. So I had it sucked out and recharged at a shop. It is a lot colder now, but sitting at lights or just idling it seems like it just starts blowing hot air. I think the compressor is still on when it does this.

It seems to also stop blowing cold air at random times throughout a drive.

The only topic I could find mentioned that it was below the timing belt, but also said behind the intake manifold in the same sentence.

I know its a light blue/torgoise plug, and I'm assuming it looks the same as the "high" line which ofcourse is so easy to find.

I want to recharge this system, but for the life of me cannot find the low plug. Anyone have a pic or any more direct directions? Such as the best way to get to it, below the car or looking down.

Look take the high line and follow it back to the compressor. You'll find the nipple around there, but it's probably covered in grime so it isn't blue anymore. Look from the top of the engine on the driver's side.

Standing at the driver-side front wheel, the low pressure service connector is right on top of the compressor, just behind the Ignition Transistor module. See Photo.

Attachments

• AC Location.jpg
    AC Location.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 3,642
ok, that picture is from a 1G, but I have a 2G. Anyone with any 2g knowledge about where the low hook-up able to help?

On a 2g, the low hook up should be just to the left of the wheel on the compressor, on the piping that comes out and loops over the main AC line. If you need some pics, i'll snap some asap. Hope that helps. Just look at the compressor and at the low hook up should be right next to the wheel.

:talon: Were are the low side fiting on the a/c line i only found the high side...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back