The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

What is the best Exhaust Manifold???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1G90AWDTsi

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 7, 2007
southern, California
I have a tubular exhaust manifold that heats up very hot, I think it contributed to heating up my valve cover and melting the outer rings of my prior (hi-temp resistent) wires.

here's a pic of mine...I think I need a new one and I want something that isn't as hot or else I'm going to have to do a hood vent or something.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

and another (more recent)

Couple of things really helped when I went Tubular. the first being a good covering of header wrap. Now I know about all the back and forth conversations about header wrap, but I've used it for years on many headers and have yet to have a single issue, and it DEFINETLY lowers underhood temps. Make sure you spray it with the specific spray for the wrapping. Crappy washed out camera phone pics, but anyways.....

The second is a good vented hood. I went with a VIS G-speed hood, nice large opening over the manifold. I have been very happy, great to see all that heat radiating out from my hood and not trapped under it. I see that your a 1g but I'm sure there are vented options.

Now these are just suggestions, but they worked great for me. Good luck and happy boosting....

I really want to vent my hood, I've seen a couple of 1gs and it seems to be working for them. The problem is "doing it yourself" because they don't sell 1g hoods that are vented and I have no talent for that. Header wrap sounds like something I need to do.

What's the benefit of a 2g? I have no clue. My cyl-head is ported/polished though, would that matter?

The 2g is just a better overall design than the 1g exhaust manifold. The EvoIII manifold flows a little better. It is really up to you. If you have the money, try the FP race manifold.

I really want to vent my hood, I've seen a couple of 1gs and it seems to be working for them. The problem is "doing it yourself" because they don't sell 1g hoods that are vented and I have no talent for that. Header wrap sounds like something I need to do.

They do sell vented 1g hoods, ive seen them on ebay.. Whether or not you want to buy them is another question though.... Venting the hood is a very good thing to do though btw. Only thing ive thought of as far as that though is taking off that weather stripping on the back side of the hood and popping the rear of the hood to were it sits about 2inches higher so theres a gap at the rear of the hood to allow air out... Ive heard a few others talking of such things so one day im bored I may just do it.

The 2g is just a better overall design than the 1g exhaust manifold. The EvoIII manifold flows a little better. It is really up to you. If you have the money, try the FP race manifold.

I 2nd the Fp manifold....

They do sell vented 1g hoods, ive seen them on ebay.. Whether or not you want to buy them is another question though.... Venting the hood is a very good thing to do though btw. Only thing ive thought of as far as that though is taking off that weather stripping on the back side of the hood and popping the rear of the hood to were it sits about 2inches higher so theres a gap at the rear of the hood to allow air out... Ive heard a few others talking of such things so one day im bored I may just do it.

I 2nd the Fp manifold....

I had a past convo about that (raising the hood), it didn't seem like a good idea to some other guys...check it out here: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266430

the 4th, 5th, 7th, and 8th responses go into detail about it.

The picture should speak for itself :D . Compared to a stock 2G Exhaust Manifold

Partially cleaned 2G Vs. FP Manifold

Just as a show off pic :cool:

2g, Evo3, GT, SBR, FP. Whatever fits your price range and accomplishes your goals.

Wellll ignore this part of my last post on this thread, decieded to read into it a little
and just from what ive read on this corvette link http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1419660&page=3

ive gather several reasons NOT to raise the back of the hood, as its similar to cowl induction and with string and yarn test while driving it was found to actually draw air in through the back of the raised hood which isnt good for aero, causes more lift, and could fight/ cause backpressure to the radi air trying to come in... Sorry, this is way off topic :beatentodeath: but thought id clear that up real quick... :dsm:

BTW FP Mani FTW..........

thanks for all the info, I had no idea a 2g was better than a 1g. I would like to keep cost down, I still have to spend 400 bucks to tune my car at the dyno. Thanks!

To keep the price down you can find a ported 2g or get one and port it yourself. A ported 2g can flow enough to handle quite a fair amount of power. :thumb:

The 2g manifold is a direct bolt on and I have seen them go on Ebay for as cheap as $30-$40.

What ^^^ said.

Do you have a price limit? If not, go with the FP. If you want cheapest, go with the GT.

So whats the mid range between the two, i need to get a new one because the one off the car i just bought had a pretty big crack on the underside of it. Is the Gt the best for the money, worth it? thanks

Sorry i forgot to ask something, How are the pacesetter headers??? are they any good or worth the money? (Yeah im on a buget.)

For your budget, a stock 2g Manifold. if you want that lil bit extra, get the GT and have it ported.

Personaly. i like to do things only Once!, so i went straight to the FP coated mani.and have since wrapped it up. i dont like under hood heat. its something like every 1 degree of heat costs 10HP. or reversed... been along time since I was told the heat vs Hp conversion... so im probly wrong. but its still a substantial amount. GL on your decision.

naturally a tubular manifold will run a lot hotter...cast manifolds will keep your temps down a little bit. they will also resist cracking a lot better...i agree with everyone else. Forced Performance makes an awesome manifold...also slow boy racing has a good cast manifold thats cheaper...and as far as pacesetter manifolds go i would not recommend them...i had a tubular pacesetter in my spyder and it cracked after a year.

Sorry i forgot to ask something, How are the pacesetter headers??? are they any good or worth the money? (Yeah im on a buget.)

Run a search for Pacesetter and you can make up your own mind. I dumped mine after it cracked and went with a evoIII.:thumb:

The GT manifold is prob the best bang for your buck....i got mine for 169 and it came pre tapped for an egt gauge.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back