The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

What does a PCM controller do ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99'EclipseGS

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 14, 2007
Woodbridge, New_Jersey
my friend has been talking about replacing his pcm which will give him better boost and what not in first gear, my car isn't boosted yet but what would a pcm controller do for my motor n/a. i saw someone selling one on the marketplace and was wondering what it would do for my motor

my friend has been talking about replacing his pcm which will give him better boost and what not in first gear, my car isn't boosted yet but what would a pcm controller do for my motor n/a. i saw someone selling one on the marketplace and was wondering what it would do for my motor

There are no "PCM controllers" for the 420A. If you see anything labeled a "performance chip" or "PCM enhancer," it's a scam.

There are only a few ways to adjust the PCM's signals, and those are:

• Piggyback devices like the S-AFC. They're okay, but aren't suited well for turbocharged applications, and you won't see many gains.
  • A truly reprogrammed PCM, like the A/FX ECU from Howell. These will provide marked increases in performance, but there's no user adjustability, and Howell doesn't have a reputation for good customer service.
  • A stand-alone engine controller, like Megasquirt. This is your best bet for full control over your engine. While installation is rather straightforward, tuning can be complicated if you don't know what you're doing.

Oh wow. Okay thanks guys for everything, I was just looking at the marketplace and some guy was supposedly selling a PCM for the 420a and I thought I can use that for performance.
Thank you though for your explanation

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back