The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

What cutting tools do you guys use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I want something I can make turns in say if I'm cutting out a flange or something like that. From what I'm hearing it's not worth modifying my bandsaw, so how would a scroll saw work?
If not I'm thinking of a metal band saw and making a table for it.

Not true plasma cost a grand or more pluse u need compressed air.

Negative Ghost Rider. There are several DIY/Hobbyist plasma cutters for less than $1K. True you need compressed air, however I think if you are at the level of plasma cutter shopping, it is assumed you have an air compressor.

Negative Ghost Rider. There are several DIY/Hobbyist plasma cutters for less than $1K. True you need compressed air, however I think if you are at the level of plasma cutter shopping, it is assumed you have an air compressor.

You can get a harbor freight or a eastwood for less than 1k, but having it on a CNC would be over 1k and bad ass :D

There are a few company's that offer water jet services and emachineshop.com offers free download of autoCAD so you can design what you want and they will cut it out for you. This is good for one off items but if you plan on doing a lot of fab work a plasma cutter will pay for itself in a diminishment in frustration.

Oxygen acetylene torch, suprised this hasnt been mentioned. With that I have dremel, grinder, sawzall. pretty much get anything I could need cut up. I have tons of wood working shit, too bad our cars arent made of wood :ohdamn:

Paul, you need one of these. This is also one of the next on my list. Just waiting for a killer deal to pop up on CL.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Harbor freight has it for 229 plus there is a 20% off coupon that expires on 1/31/12

Well was doing work in the garage tonight. Wanted to practice some pie cuts and also make a template for my struts so I can make a strut bar for the quest.
Pie cuts on chop saw = crap. I spent more time with a dremel trying to clean up the debris.
Moving on.
Band saw. Put the blade back on and checked all the clearances and made a cardboard template and traced it onto .080 aluminum. Got about 2 or 3 inches of cutting in and it spit the blade.
Fine, put a new blade in the jig saw and started cutting. That was just stupid because it works for shit.

Went to home depot to get ideas and came home with this (on clearance for $84)
RZ1500-30 5.7 Amp vs Spiral Saw-RZ1500-30 at The Home Depot

Figured I would mount it upside down in the vice and use it that way. Came with 2 blades. One made for drywall which works for nothing. The other, I'm not sure but it worked ok. I managed to cut out the piece I needed and broke the blade in 2 spots. The metal blades for this thing are $21 EACH.

Needless to say this will be getting returned tomorrow and if I can clear out some room in the garage and the car I'm going to harbor freight for the 4x6 band saw with my 20% off coupon.

I just want something (band saw like) that I can sit there and make cuts and slight curves if needbe and not have to spend hours cleaning up the edges. Therefore I will bit the bullet and get that saw and late down the line I'll get a router and some bits to clean up the edges. Or just wait for my dad to buy a new one :D He's been on a new tool kick lately.

EDIT: Oh ya and inbetween all that I tried the angle grinder. Too hard to even get close cuts to the line with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
So while I was at the chiropractor yesterday I was in the waiting room reading the new motor trend magazine and found the 20% off coupon for harbor freight. Rip. So today I went. Called the first place and none in stock, called the second and they had 6 so off I went.
Picked that up and a new table saw and 2 blades and another $3 tool. 20% off coupon on the bandsaw plus that knocked down the price of the 2 year extended warranty from $49 down to $34 so I felt it was worth it. I walked out of there spending $299.xx. She wouldn't let me use the coupon more than once :(

Plus what I didn't know about the warranty. On this saw it has a 90 day warranty through the manufacture, but HF accepts it. So the guy said if I throw it in my truck and lose it on the expressway just bring it back and I'll get a new one (wish I had a truck to try this out :p ) and the extended warranty (they sell 1 year and 2 year) starts AFTER the 90days. So you really get 15 or 27 months. Not a bad deal I don't think.

Here is the table saw

$37 plus 2 extra blades at $5. Says 4" diamond blade so I will see how it does with some thin aluminum. If not, return it goes.

you "high foluttin types" got it easy, I use an old saw made up of bear teeth tied into a a tusk from a wild boar, that's ,my rough cutting tools, from there i do all my fine work with the lower jaw froman opposum i found dead on the highway

Other than those i have an axe made from some stone i shaped up and tied to the femur from an old cow, works great. I would love much more exotic tools but being os far inland i can not seem to source the beak of a sword fish as well asthe shark teeth i'd like to line it with

I do have a nice scroll saw made up from braided horsetail hair that has 18 rat teeth per inch powred by two squierrels running in two chunks of hollowed oak tre trunk that's usedfor the rolers/wheels of the blade.. I replace the squirrels about once every 6months but by then you should see the leg muscles on them.. i think anyone out hunting them wil be in for somenice cookin' when they see the meat i put on their bones with my riggerous work out routine :D

Went to harbor freight to look at this shear and see what it was like. It's an online item only, and the reviews seemed really good so I figured I would try it. Tried to order it online with a 20% off coupon and no dice. So I called them, gave him the coupon over the phone it worked. I also asked if they were giving away any freebies with orders so he is sending me a flashlight.
$176 shipped to my door. However I won't see it for a long time. Seems this thing is so popular it's on back order and I won't get it until JUNE!! It better be worth the wait!
8" Bench Top Shear / Brake

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back