The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

WG actuator problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beat90tsi

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 28, 2004
pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
My E316G has worked flawlessly but for the actuator (and perhaps a little unwanted creep here and there). I don't think I have to tell anyone about what a good turbo it is, but I haven't seen many people posting actuator problems. Recently my actuator started sticking open. I checked it and it's not the flapper, it's the actuator. I did preload it by putting a few washers behind all the mounting bolts, but other than that it's a totally standard setup.

I think I can get it to work find if I bend the arm a bit. Am I one of the only people to run into this?

-Jon

When I bought my b16g the flapper wouldn't close all the way because of the actuator. But it didn't matter for me because I welded it shut so I could use my external waste gate. The only thing that I can think of that might help is spray some wd-40 or pb blaster in the actuator and let it sit. I am guessing there is a spring in there so if it gets something on it it might stick, the wd-40 could solve this.

How long ago did you get your 16G? if you bought it from a reputable vendor, I would go back to them and explain the problem. If it was within a reasonable amount of time, I think they should help compensate you in solving your problem. IMO, messing or bending the actuator is just a quick way to fix and problem. You can probably get away with bending it (although I can't possibly see how you can bend the actuator arm to fit again, but shorter), but sooner or later your problem will arise again.

The actuator itself gets stuck extremely rarely. You can check it by removing it comletely and using vacuum/pressure pump to make it work. You'll see that actuator arm won't get stuck. It doesn't have much to get stuck on. The real problem is the flapper pivot shaft. Shure it may move freely when you move it by hand, but try to apply force in one direction or another while oepning it by hand, and you will see that movement of the flapper would be much harder. To avoid that, you have to mek sure that actuator arm isn't too snugg on the flapper lever, actuator and arm are aligned in the best possible direction of force needed to open the flapper.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back