The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Weld awd N/A center diff? it's open...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EGLTAWLN

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 7, 2008
Edmonton, AB_Canada
i am starting another 91 galant awd project and i have a question.
the vehicle is an awd n/a w5m31. the transmission, transfercase and rear diff are different than the turbo versions.
the front and rear diffs are open differentials.
so is the center differential.

so if i welded the center diff and left the front and rear diffs open, that should eliminate the wheel chirps in turns, right?

the n/a transmission VC is shorter than the turbo one.

can anyone brainstorm what the results would be if i welded the center diff and left the front and rear diffs open? this would be for a winter car.
what setup would be best for winter?
i have all the turbo parts available as well, but i wonder if the n/a stuff is any good.

Last edited:
No, if you weld the center diff it will make the tires chirp worse on turns. There is probably something wrong with the current center diff or you have mismatched tires if it is doing it on a stock car.

You will still get wheel hop/chirp in tight maneuvers with the center welded. the rear being open or lsd makes no difference. The front follows larger circle then the rear in tight turns, therefore different wheel speeds, so something has to give.

What exactly are you hearing? If it's actually more of a squeal, it could just need an alignment.

No it will still chirp. BUT, you can put the cd guts out of a W5M33 in that CD, and use the bigger VC from the W5M33, it will also require you to run the W5M33 end cover too. Mine GGSX has this setup.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back