The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Weird problem: Fans aren't turning on, but relays still good

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsx ftw

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 5, 2008
510/408, California
So initially I thought one of my relays had gone bad, but then the other day when I had my HVAC heater/fan on (to keep my temps under 200...during the summer...it sucks) I noticed that both my fans will turn on.

I know there are three relays that have to do with the fans, and one for when the AC Condenser is on. My question is...is there a thermostat switch or something?

I talked to Sean at FFTEC, he said only the 1g's have this switch and 2g's don't.

If that's the issue, could it be a loose connection from the ECU, or the ECU itself?

This is all to my understanding. If any of you have any suggestions, feel free to chime in. Thanks.

What the problem is...is that the fans aren't turning on past 200 degrees, which they should be. I've been using the heater to keep my temperatures in check.

Noob question, but where is the thermostat? And about the 2 wire engine coolant temp sensor...how do I know its bad? Thanks.

I am not exactly sure, but if i am not mistaken, there are 3 sensors for the coolant temperature. This may only be on the 1g, but there are 2 on the Tstat housing on the left of the motor and one on the bottom left of the radiator. The one on the radiator is what is supposed to turn on the fans. I have mine jumped with a wire so they stay on all the time.

Thanks for the help, I'll bust out my DMM and check it out.

EagleTalonTim, I believe only 1G's have the setup you described.

Let me get this right. I just took a look at the thermostat housing and there appears to be two sensors. The larger one toward the rear (not the one off to the right) is the one I should be testing, correct?

If it is faulty, do I have to (what appears to be) unscrew the sensor and replace it completely?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back