The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Water pipe/ Heater core line delete

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSi Kid

Probationary Member
May 31, 2009
Avondale, Arizona
I want to block off the coolent lines from the back of the thermostat housing and the water pipe that goes back as well.

I was told that I had to hollow out my thermostat or make a different one, local people, but I wanted to know if this was true, and if not, what exactly I need to do.

Also, anyone running their car like this? I'm in arizona and i'll be switching to a w2a setup soon and thinking of going to a half sized radiator as well.

You can either loop the lines together and get a fiav blockoff plate for the throttle body OR chop off the previsions on the water pipe & tstat housing then weld them closed.

No modifications to the thermostat is needed, keep it as is

You can either loop the lines together and get a fiav blockoff plate for the throttle body OR chop off the previsions on the water pipe & tstat housing then weld them closed.

Could you be more specific about this and any drawbacks from this, as I been thinking about doing this myself but have not decided yet.

thanks

You wouldn't have to weld the heater hose joint on the 1G thermostat housing since it is removable; replace it with a 3/8" BSP plug like those found on your oil filter housing. The Mitsu part number for one of those is MD145018 and will provide you with the cleanest look and is completely reversible.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
as stated

Just have the holes welded up for a clean look

Looping lines and/or plugging lines with bolts just makes the setup look cheap and rigged

I would be welding them

Alright, thanks.

Does anyone have any experience running this? And if I do run my setup like this, can I get away with running a w2a setup with a half size radiator?

I went with a N/T water pipe and lower thermostat so that got rid of a few ports. I also have a 1g upper tstat and welded the rear port to the TB since I have the FIAV blocked off. For the sensors holes (like the switch sensor I dont use since I have a 2g), I found out the size of the threading and found freeze plugs on McMaster Carr (love that site). I can snap you a pic if you wish, but I am running a full radiator with FMIC.

I went with a N/T water pipe and lower thermostat so that got rid of a few ports. I also have a 1g upper tstat and welded the rear port to the TB since I have the FIAV blocked off. For the sensors holes (like the switch sensor I dont use since I have a 2g), I found out the size of the threading and found freeze plugs on McMaster Carr (love that site). I can snap you a pic if you wish, but I am running a full radiator with FMIC.

I have the same done as well. Do you have the actual coolent lines, not just the FIAV, blocked off too?

Which coolant lines are you referring to? The upper and lower radiator hoses? The only coolant lines I have are for the heater core, radiator, and the overflow.

Which coolant lines are you referring to? The upper and lower radiator hoses? The only coolant lines I have are for the heater core, radiator, and the overflow.

This whole topic is about deleting the lines to the heater core and it's effects.

I see that now, I apologize. Where I am from keeping the heat is a must for me.

I simply shaved the front of the unit and then moved the sensors to the rear.

'92 GSX The 'Baby Beast' - 2.3l HX40 Wire tucked Auto

ITs as clean as you can make that ugly thing without replacing it like I did in my black car.

I didn't even see your post until shearer brought you up, but holy shi*t is that clean. I didn't know that about the sensors either, thanks!

Anyone run their car with the heater lines eliminated? I really want some response on what to expect.

I know that if you run a water cooled turbo you are fine. In a 2g the heater core completes the loop in the system. I am unsure about the 1g though. You should be just fine though

I know that if you run a water cooled turbo you are fine. In a 2g the heater core completes the loop in the system. I am unsure about the 1g though. You should be just fine though

Are you saying the heater core cannot be removed on a 2g? I’m actually in the process of deleting it, only water lines will be going to the turbo and radiator.

If you don't need heat in your car, and only have lines for the turbo and radiator (and hopefully to the engine block), you should be fine. You can delete almost anything from the car, so long as you do it properly.

Bringing this back from the dead. I’m deleting my heater core and lines. I have a nt water pipe and thermostat housing, my question is do I need to have a water line from the thermostat housing to the water pipe? I want to just run upper and lower radiator hoses that’s it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back