The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Water Injection - What kit do you have and recommend?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1997 Eclipse

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 3, 2003
Manila, Asia
Due to the crappy fule I have over here, my option seems to be water injection. I am looking at a few kits namely from Snow Performance, Cooling Mist. What do you guys have and what do you recommend?

1997 Eclipse said:
Due to the crappy fule I have over here, my option seems to be water injection. I am looking at a few kits namely from Snow Performance, Cooling Mist. What do you guys have and what do you recommend?

I'm interested in this too ... however alcohol seems a little more appealing ... why are you interested in water and not alcohol? Just curious ... :thumb:

On the kits, you can do water only, water/alcohol 15% or water/alcohol 25% or any other combination probably.

'kamusta'
i have the snoperformance waterinjection kit and i do recommend it. Problem is that the pressure switch it comes with is kinda weak and mine broke easily due to the heat under the engine. I use 20% alcohol mix on mine and it really does help and knock is suppressed greatly. Also, when i rebuilt the head on the car, the valves were clean as heck. Here in cali gas sux too so water/alcohol injection was a great option for me.

I reccomend making your own.

Buy some good components and DIY :)

the key components are pump, solenoid and nozzle.

For the nozzles get the best. Go to Auquamist. Hell thier whole system is the best, but its pricey as hell. But thier nozzles are well worth it and not too bad at like $25 Canadian. Get a crack pressure anti syphon valve too.

SMC for the solenoid and they also sell good quality high pressure lines.

Shur Flow for the pump. Get a 100psi one.

Then you need a pressure activated switch, some wires etc and connectors.

Oh and I highly reccomend water injection on the whole. Awesome concept.

i would also make your own. I put one together for my colt for about 200. One of the best mods ive done for the car.

awdrst said:
I put one together for my colt for about 200.

Hi,

Not to upset you, but wouldn't you ratter have a professional kit from people that know what they are doing for about the same price. Coolingmist is selling their basic kit for $175. $200 versus $175???
I am also very interested in water injection and I am looking at the kits from coolingmist. Does anyone bought their kits from them? How is the quality, installation and customers service?
Thanks,

Sven

If you look at most of the kits, you'll find components that are used in the DIY kits. Different stickers, manufacturers etc, but its all the same.

The formula is pump+switch+jet+fluid container. (As pointed out by Borhn!)

Aquamist systems are really highly refined and excellent for water/windshield washer fluid. Good kits, and you'll pay for it! Still, if you have the money and you know you won't want to experiment with straight methanol injection, then go for it!

One of the biggest problems with injecting is getting the right amount at the right the time. Multiple jets are the closest you can get, but it is more work.

I have found a PROGRESSIVE controller kit that will handle anything you throw at it (straight meth for example), and comes in a kit form. This one has EXCELLENT reviews from the turbo buick crowd and I would highly recommend having a look at it:

http://www.alkycontrol.com/

The best thing about this kit is that essentially, its varys the amount of fluid you're injecting progressively to what the engine requires. Low injection, low boost, lots of fluid at higher levels and its all linear. Its also all electronic and virtually bullit proof.

Research and make sure you know what you will want to experiment with injecting. If you think you'll want to play with higher levels of methanol, make sure your components can handle it. Thats what I did, but then again, everyday is an experiment in my car!

Good luck, and hope you get injecting soon. It really is a very good thing.

Joesmoke said:
I have found a PROGRESSIVE controller kit that will handle anything you throw at it (straight meth for example), and comes in a kit form. This one has EXCELLENT reviews from the turbo buick crowd and I would highly recommend having a look at it:

http://www.alkycontrol.com/
QUOTE]

I've heard nothing but good things about that kit. I'll probably pick it up some time in the future.

I recently purchased and installed a coolingmist high perfomance stage 1 kit and I'm very pleased with it. It's been raining so I still haven't got a chance to 'get on it' like I want to start tuning but I do know its working properly. I decided to pay the little extra money for a kit because I don't have the time or patience to locate every part required to make it work properly, plus I can call or email them and they always help me with any questions.

1fast97gsx said:
I'm interested in this too ... however alcohol seems a little more appealing ... why are you interested in water and not alcohol? Just curious ... :thumb:

anybody on here using alcohol injection on their DSM? My friend has a 1G with alcohol

to the person who used the coolingmist setup, tell me what you think about the part that tells you if its flowing. Not sure what its called, but it goes inline with the fluid and sets off an led when there is flow?

As for the question about water/alcohol, I use 50/50. Works well and is cheap, comes in a convenient 1gal jug and looks nice in its light blue configuration ;)

I inject straight methanol.

Car loves it. The trick with injecting, especially methanol, is to decrease fuel, increase timing and or boost until everything is just right. If you don't, the car will feel very boggy.

It is cool out here right now, so Ill have to readjust when it warms up, Ill probably just increase the methanol. Here are my settings :

Stock IC
450's
14b @ 18-20 psi
afc @ -10 across
timing at 8 deg base (peaks in mid 20's under load)
Minimal knock (5 count maybe sometimes)

My advice to anyone reading this post is to just remember, that increasing boost and timing AND decreasing fuel on the stock injectors while still running on the stock sidemount, could be a recipe for disaster. Methanol injection and outside temps play a huge role, so be cautious.

http://www.smcenterprises.com/
1. How does alcohol injection work?

By injecting a fine spray of alcohol into the inlet air stream of the engine you will both dramatically cool the charge air and raise the effective octane of the fuel. Both help to eliminate detonation-the enemy of any engine, especially those under boost with today's lower octane gas.

2. How much horsepower can I expect to gain?

That depends on the application...but it is common to see a 20-30% increase in HP from the added boost and/or timing you will be able to run. We have over 1,000 turbo Buicks running over 20 psi on pump gas....some running as high as 24 psi! We also have a Stage 4 WRX running 24 psi and over 400 HP on pump gas.

3. Is alcohol injection hard to use?

A good system will be fully automatic after it is installed. It should know when to spray and when to stop, and also offer tunability and monitoring of the system parameters. An "In-Car" controller is preferred. Even better is a "progressive" controller that will increase pump speed as boost increases.

4. Can alcohol injection damage my motor?

No-as long as the injection system is working properly, it can only do good things. It will tend to keep your plugs, valves, and combustion chambers very clean, since the alcohol will dissolve carbon buildup. The damage from ignoring detonation is a blown head gasket, broken piston, or worse.

5. What if it stops working?

Only a few higher-end injection systems offer a failsafe device to sense line pressure and not allow high boost unless the system is functioning properly. This is available on the SMC kits and is meant to be used with a factory or aftermarket boost control device.

6. What kind of alcohol do I use?

SMC recommends pure denatured alcohol. It is sold as a solvent in gallon cans and is available in any large home improvement store such as Lowe's or Home Depot. This is grain alcohol that has been poisoned with a bit of methanol to make it non-drinkable. You may also use methanol if you have a source for it. Be sure to use the proper alcohol lubricant. (Klotz Uplon #kl-107 ) One ounce per gallon.

my whole town went through an alcohol injection phase :rolleyes: supposedly first SRT-4 and WRX to be alcohol injected in North America. Theres about 10 cars now in a small town. :rolleyes:

Bohrn,

Decided to advance timing to see far I could go. 8 deg feels pretty good!
(just for the archives, base is 5 deg. so I added 3 deg of timing)

A combination of more boost, more timing, less fuel and more/less alky is the key to getting the most power from an alky/water injected car. Play with each until you find the right balance.

just for you Newbies "Alky" stands for alcohol. rubbing alcohol or denatured alcohol from the hardware stores is most commenly used.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back