The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G VSS malfunction

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidtsi

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 17, 2009
Laredo, Texas
My speedometer wasn't working so i replace the speedometer and the speed sensor and my cluster still reads 0, i tried 3 different sensors and 3 different clusters with no luck, i also used a test light and the wiring is getting power.

At this point i'm clueless and i would like a little bit of help. :pray:

I just had problems with mine, a 95 gsx, and took apart everything and cleaned everything, including the sensor, the connection, and all the wiring and got it working. Went from dead to working perfectly by cleaning everything very carefully....just some experience advice..hope you get it working...

I took the sensor out and spin it with a drill and took a look a my dsmlink and the speed never moved from 0, i tried this with 3 different sensors, i also tested the wires on the connector with a LED light one was bright the middle one was a ground and the other lighted up less brighter.

My 99 eclipse was doing the same thing. Come to find out the teeth were grounded down. Does your VSS have good teeth on it?

True. That's really weird man. I wonder what's causing that. I will do some research and post them on here.

Maybe the actual speedo gear is bad in the trans.. I hate to say it but the only way to check that is if you take out the whole tranny then remove the bell housing cover. I had to do that when my speedometer quit working. Come to find out the teeth were bad on the gear and the plastic part that turns the VSS had popped off inside of the tranny.

Hmm... What did the graphing meter say? Was there an output? If so, does it read a signal at the ecu end of the harness? I can only fix your car from across the continent if you follow instructions to the letter.

Hmm... What did the graphing meter say? Was there an output? If so, does it read a signal at the ecu end of the harness? I can only fix your car from across the continent if you follow instructions to the letter.

I dont have a voltmeter at the moment. I tried using 3 different sensors, 2 different ecu, 2 different clusters and i spins the with a drill to make your there wasnt a problem with the actual transmission, also i check power with and LED light i found, in the connector is getting power, one of them turn bright the middle one is a ground and the other is not as bright.

I removed the connector in the ecu and i checked at the speed sensor pin and the little LED didnt light up, but i checked the speed sensor pin behind the cluster and it did light up.

the only way to figure out whats goin on is to trace the continuity of each wire in circuit. if you arent getting anything on the gauge when you spin the sensor with the drill there is a wiring issue, or ecm issue. the ecm reads that funky "waveform" posted by colt4g63. It then puts out a voltage to control the gauge based on how fast the sensor is spinning. if you arent reading anything in dsmlink, than I believe the problem is between the sensor and the ecm. if the ecm was "recieving" the VSS signal, you would see it in dsmlink, even though you still may not see it on the gauge. If you were reading speed in dsmlink but not the gauge than the problem would lie between the ecm and the gauge, not the sensor and the ecm... i hope that makes sense... trace the signal wire from the sensor to the ecu and make sure there is good continuity. to do so, use a voltage drop test. you can google for more information on the test. if you pm me the results I will tell you how to fix your car. I may be able to provide a schematic if you cant get one yourself.

a lab scope sure would make it easier!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back