The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Unsure of what to do

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1g_talonman

Proven Member
Sep 20, 2018
Saskatoon, SK_Canada
I'm currently waiting on a buddy to help me drill and tap a hole on my intake manifold as one was stripped to all hell, and I want to be doing something productive to the car before winter hits.

I've got no money to dump into the project at the moment and I only own basic handtools, so I'm wondering what I could do in terms of cleaning up, checking parts, making the engine bay look nicer, etc. My working knowledge is rather limited compared to most DSMers, so please keep that in mind LOL

This is an old pic, but nothing has really changed since I took it. What my engine bay looks like:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Hello my fellow Canadian .. First thing you could do is repaint the top of your rad and the brackets that hold it in place . Next I would remove the heat shields on the exhaust and paint ( with high heat paint ) . Next you could get a scotch bright and buff all the scale on your intake. Run the scotch bright over the lettering on your valve cover to make them stand out more . Actually your engine bay is a lot cleaner than some I`ve seen.. You could go wacky like I did and add upgrades like rad hoses and vacuum lines ECT but that's gonna cost ya . Take a look at my profile pick and you might get a few ideas. Best of luck....

Tooth brush, degreaser and elbow grease. Take off any metal parts that bother you, wire wheel, primer and paint them. Pick up a 2g heat shield. I have one for sale ;) but it has a hole for egt. A brass wire wheel is a great investment if you want to clean stuff up.

Converting to non cruise control throttle cable really cleans it up imo. They're about $50 IIRC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello my fellow Canadian .. First thing you could do is repaint the top of your rad and the brackets that hold it in place . Next I would remove the heat shields on the exhaust and paint ( with high heat paint ) . Next you could get a scotch bright and buff all the scale on your intake. Run the scotch bright over the lettering on your valve cover to make them stand out more . Actually your engine bay is a lot cleaner than some I`ve seen.. You could go wacky like I did and add upgrades like rad hoses and vacuum lines ECT but that's gonna cost ya . Take a look at my profile pick and you might get a few ideas. Best of luck....
Thanks, the Scotch Brite pad is a good idea and I think I'll do that. I'll be sure to check out your profile too :thumb:

Tooth brush, degreaser and elbow grease. Take off any metal parts that bother you, wire wheel, primer and paint them. Pick up a 2g heat shield. I have one for sale ;) but it has a hole for egt. A brass wire wheel is a great investment if you want to clean stuff up.

Converting to non cruise control throttle cable really cleans it up imo. They're about $50 IIRC.
Thanks, I see a few metal pieces that are in need of cleanup. May I ask why a 2g heat shield is better than a 1g? I haven't really read about it.

What you could do is, is take the wiper arms off and repaint them, and while you’re at it remove the cowl and clean under there. If it’s anything like my 2g you’ll have loads of gunk under it. Next you should check your rocker panels (particularly the rear where the wheel well and the rockers meet. There sort of a shelf there if I remember right that dirt and mud like to sit at. Just clean that off or maybe do some modest rust prevention if you want. Another thing you could do is use some cleaner (personally, I mix mean green with vinegar to make a pretty good cleaning solution.) and a tooth brush and just scrub small areas that you can reach with the brush. Might I suggest checking out the interior as well.? Touching up the head liner or maybe tracking down that “faint” rattle that you may get every now and then.?:p. I’m not sure if the 1G’s have these, but check the spare tire wheel well and see if there’s any water inside and drain it if there is.(I have to do this Atleast twice a year with my 96’ GS. Shop vac the water out and clean the residue out.) I’m sure there’s plenty other things you could do to pass the time.

Swap out that horribly filthy air filter. Makes the engine bay look bad.. :p

Jokes aside, honestly just get some plastic bags, wrap any parts sensitive to water, use GUNK engine bay degreaser and spray metal parts that could use degreasing, use a tooth brush and brush the metal parts, let it sit, then rinse with water. Then, I'll use GUNK foamy engine cleaner, spray everything, let it sit, then rinse with water. Lastly, since I'm anal, I'll use car wash soap (I use mother's California gold) and a towel and just go to town on the body of the car in the engine bay, rinse with water, then wipe.

Here's a before and after of my bay doing exactly that
Before:

Tadaaaa, after:

One more thing. Doing a wire tuck helps a LOT with a cleaner look. Here's a thread I made a WHILE back that gives you an idea. Deleting EGR stuff and tucking around the intake mani. Also, excuse my noobishness as I was totally new to working on cars at the time LOL
https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/w...old-what-can-and-cant-be-deleted-pt-2.439344/

EDIT: Damn you DevineAstral this is an older thread ROFL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back