The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

TSi AWD replacing charge wire on alternator?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randizzle420

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 20, 2009
El Centro, California
I'm guessing the charge wire on the alternator are the two wires that you clamp near the top of the alternator? I bought a 180 amp alternator, it said i need to replace the charge wire to a 4 gauge with a fuse. Do I really need to do this? I think the charge wire is inside the rubber housing that runs across the bumper to the fuse box. Wouldn't that require a really long 4 gauge wire? then I'd some how have to fit that into the fuse box? or could i just run a wire with fuse straight to the alternator to the battery and not even have to go into the wiring harness that goes to the fuse box? or can i just run the stock wires and be fine without damaging anything??

Well, giving my occupation I should be able to answer your question. Of course the answer is actually in your question.

Ok, riddles be damned....

You upgraded to a larger amp output alternator. Look at electricity like water through a pipe. Higher amps require larger wire because you are now pushing more volume of water (amps) through a pipe (wire) causing a higher back pressure. This higher back pressure causes friction which in turn causes heat. Over pressure your pipe and you blow it apart right. Well if you overheat your wire you start a fire. Fire is baad. :notgood:

So use a bigger wire, a fuse is a great idea, and yep, you can route it to your battery as long as you leave the original wire in place. Electricity is like water, it will always take the path of least resistance. In this case the larger wire. I'm not certain of the path of the original circuit, that's why I suggest leaving it intact. Not to mention it most likely will not cause any ill effects.

Sorry for the bs, but it's late and I'm out of beer. :(

Oh, I forgot, the "charge wire" is the one with the nut and the red/orange rubber over it.

Last edited:
I only see a red/orange rubber piece on the thing that looks kinda like the alternator but smaller right above the alternator. Can I just put the charge wire on the alternator and connect it to the battery? I went ahead and bought 20 feet of 0 gauge wire (overkill i know) and an 200 amp fuse with holder to connect this to the battery, and i'll use the rest of the cable to make the two grounds.

Last edited:
yeah, just hook your wire to the post on the alternator. I'd sure like to see a pic of where your going to hook it up though. Your making me nervous because the post to hook to should be very obvious. It will have isolating(non-metallic) bushings behind a nut on a stud.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back