The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Trying to get 30* TDC for a boost leak test help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spadepro22

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Seneca, South_Carolina
So to get TDC I need to turn the motor by hand CLOCKWISE. So to make sure Im going clockwise, I pull down on the ratchet right? And once I get it to TDC how much of a turn is 30*

There should be timing marks on the timing belt cover. I cant remember if it goes to 10° or 15°. Use it as a guide to guesstimate 30°. Maybe a quarter turn, or a little more

I've done several dozen BLTs and I guess I've always just been lucky, because I have never had to turn the engine to get it to hold pressure. Sometimes it turns itself a little, but I've never had all the air start blowing out the exhaust pipe or anything.

I've done several dozen BLTs and I guess I've always just been lucky, because I have never had to turn the engine to get it to hold pressure. Sometimes it turns itself a little, but I've never had all the air start blowing out the exhaust pipe or anything.

This will be my 1st time. Is there a way to mess up the vavles if the degrees is not right or will it just leak out the exhaust?

There are 360 degrees in one full engine revolution and you want to turn it 30 degrees.

30*/360*= 1/12th of a turn

For reference: 1/4 of a turn is 3/12th of one revolution, so you need a lot less than 1/4 turn. Literally you need to turn it 1/3 of 1/4 of a turn, but that might sound confusing. LOL

There are 360 degrees in one full engine revolution and you want to turn it 30 degrees.

30*/360*= 1/12th of a turn

For reference: 1/4 of a turn is 3/12th of one revolution, so you need a lot less than 1/4 turn. Literally you need to turn it 1/3 of 1/4 of a turn, but that might sound confusing. LOL

So if TDC is at 12:00 and 90* is at 3, I should turn it to about 2:00? Funny how it is turning into a math class, but it should clear it up for the people that didn't have a clue like me.:coy:

There's no way putting compressed air into the intake will mess up the valves. You're making too much out of it. I did two boost leak tests at work just last Friday.

Not making too much out of it, just want to be sure. Can't learn if you don't ask.

Last edited:
No. Using that scenario, you should turn it to 1:00.

12 hrs in a clock, 1/12th of a turn is 1 hr!

You still need the same fraction of a circle to get to 30* whether your talking hours on a clock or degrees of crank rotation. 1/12 is the same fraction as 30/360, its just reduced to the lowest terms. Get an analog clock and see how much of a turn 1 hour takes up on the clock face and go turn your crank that much!

I never really have that much problem on 272s with overlap during a BLT and I doubt my crank lands in the exact best spot every time I do one. I have had to turn it by hand before because of where the motor stopped, though. Get your engine to operating temp so the rings are expanded. I always make sure its at operating temp when I do a BLT or compression test!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back