The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Trying to diagnose a few noises.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncampos92562

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 23, 2009
Murrieta/Rivers, California
To start off I'll just go over the noises.
1. When I'm decel in gear there is a deep clicking sound, it is most noticeable in the 2k-3k rpm range but goes all the way until i push the clutch in. I have a feeling this is the transfer case, I've had this sound since I bought the car and the case is leaking a couple drops a week and it has all the indications of a leaking yoke with dried oil all over my exhaust. So I'm going to replace that soon anyway.

2. This one sounds like a grinding sound when I decel in gear. It is most noticeable at higher rpms like 3k-4k and is harder to hear as rpms go down. I have read that others have this noise once upgrading to a stronger clutch(fwd or awd). So I'm guessing its just chatter and to deal with it, but I'm just making sure.

3. This one started recently, at about 30mph to 10mph stopping there is a pretty noticeable click from something in the drive train. It is heard very clearly coasting to a stop out of gear in neutral but not so much out of the car only inside. If I take a turn in that mph range of 10-30 the noise will go away and comes back next time I stop. I have read this could be a CV joint but I'm not sure. I found my Inner driver CV boot is ripped a bit because I found a good amount of grease covering the area around the joint when I was swapping out some struts.

I'm hoping you guys can help figure out some of these noises with me because it's pretty annoying even though I'm used to them. I'll try and get a video but I doubt it'll be clear enough in the vid or without wind noise.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back