The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

420A Troubleshooting Your Car Dying After Rain. Manual 95-96

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

After battling this problem myself for many years and many parts later, I have discovered a flaw with the harness in the 95-96 420A.

Anytime It would rain or my engine got wet, it would tend to die on me.

The solution to help this event is.

After it dies, check the voltage to your Camshaft Positioning Sensor,(Picture Attached) The normal should be

Key on
Pin 1 should be 8.5 - 9.5v
Pin 2 should be continuity to ground
Pin 3 should be 4.8 - 5.2v

You can also test these same for Crank Positioning Sensor as well.

If these test come back irregular, then chances are your Vehicle Speed Sensor is getting wet. (Bad OEM Design in connector.)(Picture Attached)

Unplug your VSS and then do the CPS test above again. If your results are normal, then that is your problem.

Dont try to fix the connector, Try to find a 97 and up Eclipse in a Junk Yard or who ever, Cut the connector off leaving as much wire as you can.

Now cut out the faulty connector in your car, replace it with the 97 and up one. (Match up the wires and label them). Heat shrink everything up and your car should be fine in the water.

Attachments

• CPS.pdf
    27.8 KB · Views: 293
  • VSS.pdf
    25 KB · Views: 270
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back