The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G torque converter lockup

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian102

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 6, 2010
coldwater, Michigan
For some reason the torque converter is taking forever to lockup. What controls this is there a temperature sensor or something? It seems to lockup alot sooner if its warm out but still take around 20 minutes of driving. Brand new filter and trans fluid.

I'm not very familiar with dsm auto transmission but. I do have a built auto with tripple disc converter in my cummins i understand lock up and what not. Isnt lockup controlled by the valve body and the line pressure? Also is it possible to put a lockup switch in a dsm like i have in my cummins?

There is a lockup solenoid for 2Gs that controls converter lockup. If you search "kiggly shifter mod", the picture that kiggly has detailing what wires to cut and where the resistors go, shows you what wire color the lockup solenoid is.

There is a lockup solenoid for 2Gs that controls converter lockup. If you search "kiggly shifter mod", the picture that kiggly has detailing what wires to cut and where the resistors go, shows you what wire color the lockup solenoid is.

Thats actually very helpful, I wonder if the solenoid sticks in the cold or something. Ill look into it further, I was also looking into getting a thermostat for the transmission cooler to help it warm up faster.

It's very possible it could be sticking due to cold. These cars are getting up there in age, and electronics/solenoids don't last forever. It could also be a deeper internal transmission problem, but hey...always start with the simple stuff.

It's very possible it could be sticking due to cold. These cars are getting up there in age, and electronics/solenoids don't last forever. It could also be a deeper internal transmission problem, but hey...always start with the simple stuff.

Id hope it isnt wear, the car has 106k on it and was completely stock for the first 104k. It at least works, unlike my Talon which never had functioning lockup. Ill look into it further, maybe see if i can wire a test light to it or something to see if its getting the signal at least. Eliminate wiring/tcu as an issue.

Is it a Clunk or a Bump?
Does it happen only during cruising? Or also during deccel or accel?

Have you checked your trans mounts? Engine mounts? Driveshaft carrier bushings? U-joints?

Trans fluid? Trans filter?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back