The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Torque converter bad.... again

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enriquez2000

Proven Member
Oct 5, 2014
fort collins, Colorado
I replaced torque converter(twice due to 1st being bad) 2 years ago. I know have a whine coming from trans and thought it was my tcase.

My trans guy says its the converter again. Im on a mild build 350hp or so and drive it dailt with no real racing.

Do i need something beefier or is there somethinf that might be better? Transstar is who ive gotten my parts from in the past. Any help would be great as new torque converters arent my favorite job to do.

It goes up and down in pitch with accel and decel... i didnt here it at idle but my trans guy put a scope on and said he could...

If the whine is happening when the car is not in gear (Idle in neutral), it's the pump not the converter. Putting a scope on it won't do a whole lot as if the pump is whining, it is going to resonate through the converter. So again I ask, does the whine happen when the car is in neutral and you rev the car?

No matter what it is, something is eating your converter and or pumps, drop your pan and see how much garbage is in it, it might be that your filter is clogged with trash which would condemn your internals as being worn out and maybe the need for a better rebuild with better parts, if you had a failure before and did not clean out every part on that transmission and transmission cooler of every speck of dirt it will fail again guaranteed.

As of right now its all warranty work.. but its a pain to be down like this. Im told the fluid looks fine. I havent been over to look myself yet

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back