The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Timing belt went bye bye...question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

numlock666

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 27, 2005
Long Beach, California
Pulled canyon runs up and down a five mile track 3 times at over 5K rpms. My DSM held up fine the whole time, while my friends WRX got too close to the mountain and scraped a bit and my cusins RX7 oversteered and took a bashing on the bumper, im laughing as I continue to vicotry. Then on the drive home, they start pulling hard and me being N/T and all, I floor it to try to keep up and then it felt like i hit my rev limiter at full speed (126 mph on a A/T) and im like WTF? I'm only doing 70, gas it and nothing, check engine light is on and I pull over and check under the hood, smoke is comming out of the timing belt cover and theres a small crack in it. I look through the crack and only see the cam gears. So I read around in 2gnt and it looks like its probably going to cost an ass amount ($500 - $1500). I have a warranty, I'll see if they will cover it, if not, should I...

A) Fix it.
B) Buy a Talon TSI.

I'm a teen on my own and this is my only car, race and daily driver. My mom is making the payments on it, (10K -minusthe 2K down paymnet, yes ripped off)

I'm looking for a 1G Talon AWD or a 2G Talon AWD, max of about 3K if I can bum another 2K from mom -_-"

You can probably get a 1G AWD for 3k-5k. You MIGHT get a 2G AWD for 5k if you get a high mileage one or find one with a really good deal on it. And before you think of buying a Turbo, check insurance rates. The only reason I waited until I was 25 to buy a turbo was because I couldn't afford the insurance at 18.

I suggest that you first find out what else is broke other than the timing belt (bent valves etc). If you just need the regular 60k service stuff, keep the same car you have.

I've read so far only two people managed to come out alive with no bent valves in a 2gnt. I really want to keep this car as a daily and get a Talon TSI as a weekender. (two car discount and get lower rates on the turbo being its a weekender) Because I know the turbo DSM's are prone to downtime I would love the RS for those times, but right now, its the one thats the problem. And I thought I was blessed to pull that track very well and and even beat the RX7. LOL FF>FR in tight downhill turns but AWD>all. Yhea, but tomorrow Im going to get the haynes manual and a new timing belt, install it all and see check compression. If no go, I'll be ripping the head off and checking the valves and cutting down one of the head bolts while I'm at it.

Why just a TSI? Why not a GSX? Ther'e the exact same car. and dont take this the wrong way...but you spent 10k on a 97 n/t................you didnt get ripped off..you got raped hardcore..........you could have gotten 2 2g AWD turbocharged cars for 10k. Hell...if your spending that kind of money, ill sell you my 2g for 18k. And ya know how you had your options, of
A. Fix it
B. Get a TSI
well how about
C. Sell it for 3k, lose 7k, and never buy a nt for 3 times what it is worth again.

Also, you said that your a teen on your own.....but a few spaces later you said that your mom is making payments....so are you on your own, or is your mom making payments?

Then you also say that you can spend 3 k on AWD talon, well first off...WHY JUST A TALON..............secondly, you spent 10k on a nt, and you want to find a good turbo + AWD for less than 1/3 the price...........

sorry man, but you have no clue what your doing..........................and i really dont mean to sound like a dick, but damn..........

Alrighty, here's the deal and don't go ratting off like you did. I needed a car ASAP, and my mom was in town for just the weekend, at the time, I didn't know what I wanted, just anything other than a honda. So we went to a place worse than Satan, a used car stealership and I saw the NT sitting there among other shitty 80's cars and a few CRX's. This is when time was tight and i had to make a quick decision. So Honda or Mitsu? So I took the Mitsu. Till this day I love driving the 2GNT more than my moms Accord, can't say it has been as reliable or luxurious at her car was, it was fun and over time you get to start to feel slow and I did research and stumbled upon here. Why I want a Talon? 2 reasons, 1 they aren't as common as Eclipses are, I see, 20 a day and many of them are riced out with big park bench spoilers and grapefruit launcher tailpipes and stupid neon lighting everywhere. Talons on the other hand, aren't very well known by the Honda boys, and theres only one other talon in town that I've seen and its a ESI. So, one in hundreds in my town or 1 in just a handful? And reason number 2, Talons have a lower price tag, why spend 10K on a GSX when I can spend 5K on a TSI AWD and have 5K to drop in for upgrades? And the on my own question, I live on my own, no parents, they moved to Pheonix AZ, and I live in SoCal, the bill goes to them and they pay it for me cus a teenager on his own has enough to deal with with work+school+rent($800 a month)+other bills so dont tell me I have no clue what im doing. Funny thing is I was going to do my timing belt last weekend but due to a lack of cash had to wait till this friday for payday but guess it was wrong timing.
Don't mean to sound like a dick but your whole post was a waste of space on the forum becuase you basicly asked the same questions over and over, and learn to use a comma here and there instead of 10 periods. And if you didn't read up yet, BROKEN TIMING BELT meaning MAYBE BENT VALVES meaning CAN'T BE SOLD FOR 3K. The car in perfect shape is probably worth 3K. So tell me
A) Fix it.
B) Buy the TSI and fix the N/T to sell it.
C) Buy TSI and fix the N/T for daily.

And have you checked your profiles lately? Pacesetter Tubular headers? Didn't know the 4g63t cars had headers, I thought they were called manifolds. ^_^

I (in a way) have to agree with what 2DaTrakNow wrote. TSi AWDs are AWDs, regular TSIs are not AWDs.

numlock666 said:
And reason number 2, Talons have a lower price tag, why spend 10K on a GSX when I can spend 5K on a TSI AWD and have 5K to drop in for upgrades?
You'll be lucky to find a TSi AWD for 5k. I found mine for $7750 and everyone else was asking 9k+. You have to realize that even though the blue book value on these cars is low, there are MANY people out there willing to pay 10k for a Turbo 2G. Everyone knows that Tsi AWD are the same cars as GSXs, so even though their value is low, sellers ask for almost the same price.

numlock666 said:
Don't mean to sound like a dick but your whole post was a waste of space on the forum becuase you basicly asked the same questions over and over,
You asked for an opinion, and 2DaTrakNow gave it to you. You have to expect that people will tell you something you don't want to hear. ;)

numlock666 said:
and learn to use a comma here and there instead of 10 periods.
......... means someone is pausing.

numlock666 said:
And if you didn't read up yet, BROKEN TIMING BELT meaning MAYBE BENT VALVES meaning CAN'T BE SOLD FOR 3K. The car in perfect shape is probably worth 3K.
Check www.kbb.com for your car value. You'll get a better idea of what it is worth if you want to sell it.

numlock666 said:
And have you checked your profiles lately? Pacesetter Tubular headers? Didn't know the 4g63t cars had headers, I thought they were called manifolds. ^_^
If the exhaust manifold on a turbo car is a cast manifold, yes they are called manifolds. If it is a tubular "manifold" with pipes instead of a cast, then you can call it a tubular header instead of a tubular manifold.

To answer your question, check the damage of your car, fix it if you can, and then buy a second AWD 1g or 2g car.

And speaking of waste of space, why do you have 2 threads for the same thing??
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224146

Ok, now one last question, reasonably for someone who is fairly mechanically inclined, how long would a timing belt take? And also forgot to mention with the broken belt, my coolant was leaking out from underneath. Could it be the water pump also?

numlock666 said:
Ok, now one last question, reasonably for someone who is fairly mechanically inclined, how long would a timing belt take? And also forgot to mention with the broken belt, my coolant was leaking out from underneath. Could it be the water pump also?

If you are replacing the belt, change the water pump too while you are at it (depending on when you had it changed last).

Here are the instructions for the timing belt change -
2G - http://www.vfaq.com/mods/timingbelt-2G.html
2G NT - http://www.vfaq.com/mods/timingbelt-2G-NT.html

You can estimate how long it will take you based on the information above.

DGajre777 said:
You'll be lucky to find a TSi AWD for 5k. I found mine for $7750 and everyone else was asking 9k+. You have to realize that even though the blue book value on these cars is low, there are MANY people out there willing to pay 10k for a Turbo 2G. Everyone knows that Tsi AWD are the same cars as GSXs, so even though their value is low, sellers ask for almost the same price.

Nevermind. I see 3 $5000 AWD 2Gs in the classifieds on one page.

numlock666 said:
...........And have you checked your profiles lately? Pacesetter Tubular headers? Didn't know the 4g63t cars had headers, I thought they were called manifolds. ^_^

Ok, you trying to make me look dumb here, but in all truth, some people consider an "after market" manifold a header. Some people consider a manifold/header than is tubular, such as mine, a header. Others consider everything a manifold. There are many descriptions of what a manifold is, and what a header is.

To me, i will agree with those that say a manifold is what is stock OR a "log" style, AKA different lengths. When you purchase something that has equal length tubular piping on it, i consider it a header. Also, if you try proving me wrong again.........and failing.......again......please log on to pacesetter's website. They clearly state that what i have on my car, is a header. Hints the name, pacesetter header.........

Nice try though, at least you tried sounding smart!

DGajre777 said:
Nevermind. I see 3 $5000 AWD 2Gs in the classifieds on one page.

At first, it will seem like every TSI, GSX, and GST is in the 7k+ range. But if you keep your eyes out, be patient, and wait, then you will see a few $4500 and $5000 cars pop up. I waited, and waited, and almost bought one for $7200, then about 3 weeks later i found exactly what i wanted (1998,79k miles, perfect shape, leather, body kit, etc.) for $6000. If you look for a 95, or 96 with about 80-110k miles, it should actually be very easy finding one for $4.5-6000.

2DaTrakNow said:
and by the way numlock, to prove you even more wrong...please visit the link below

http://www.dsmtuners.com/parts/default.php?cPath=3_142_57

wow!!!! look at all of these tubular headers....hmm...thats even straight off of this website too!
so once again...nice try!

I thought I cleared it up in post number 6.

DGajre777 said:
"If the exhaust manifold on a turbo car is a cast manifold, yes they are called manifolds. If it is a tubular "manifold" with pipes instead of a cast, then you can call it a tubular header instead of a tubular manifold."

DGajre777 said:
I thought I cleared it up in post number 6.

yes you did clear it up, so sorry about that. I just hate it when people, such as numlock, try making me look stupid, and can't do it. Also, just incase he didnt beleive you, i wanted to give him more proof that there are headers for the 4g63

Ok so point proven, thanks for clarifying the foggy lines between headers and mani's LOL. Nice way to put it, I thought headers were only in N/A cars. So casted = mani and welded equal length piping = headers. Well, back on topic haha, not gunna be able to do much with that broken belt. Today I'm heading back up to the roads outside of the touge to pick my car up, called AAA and towed it into town for the night and renting a Uhaul trailer and my uncles truck to haul it back here to see the damage and I'll be posting later. Thanks for the help guys, So my plan is clear, fix it and buy a Turbo DSM for the beating and leave the NA to get around when needed.

From experience i throw a timing belt going 80 mph in my 420A. Took it to the dealership and they changed the timing belt for me. I thought I i may have bent the valves but I was told that 420A motors have clearance for the head while the 4G doesn't. So they changed the belt and it cranked right up. I think I payed 800.00 fro the flat bed tow (body kit) and for the dealship to change all my timing components and belt.

I would have to say fix your car man. Dont go into the hole to get a TSI when you cant get what you owe out of the car you broke. Fix it and then try to sell it if you want a TSI. You'll get more out of it but I would keep the car personally and worry about getting a turbo later.

When I changed my timing belt on my 2G GST I also replaced or used all these parts:
MD984778 Balancer Shaft Belt
MD326059 Timing Belt
MD308086 Timing Belt Tensioner Adjuster
MD182537 Timing Belt Tensioner Pulley
MD352473 Balance Shaft Tensioner
MD156604 Timing Belt Idler Pulley
MD972050 Water Pump Kit
MD186124 Altenator Belt
MD148271 A/C Belt
MD189130 P/S Belt
MD315301 Thermostat Kit
Fuel Filter
Anti-freeze
Starter Motor
Anti-seize
RTV
Oil filter and AMSoil 10W-30 oil

It took about 12 hours of work to do it all and I had two other people helping, one of whom has done several timing belt changes. I also had a friend who fabricated me a tool for the Timing Belt tensioner pulley to make it easy to tension as shown in figure 18, step 28 of the vfaq here (The tool fits into the two pins that fit into the pin holes on the pulley and has a socket for a ratchet):
http://www.vfaq.com/mods/timingbelt-2G.html

Also since you replace the adjuster, I didn't need the tensioner tool mentioned in the vfaq here (because I left the pin in the adjuster and used the tool above to set the appropriate tension prior to pulling the tensioner's pin):
http://www.vfaq.com/mods/timingbeltNOTE1.html

I believed I paid about $600 for all the parts and supplies. I hope that helps.

Just called satan and he quoted me $550 for it IF there aren't bent valves, so im praying.
Again everyone, thanks for all the input, I want to keep the N/A as a daily due to it being payed for by how much my wallet weighs because the payments are made my the parents. So I'm basicly borrowing the car for a looong time, every day. ^_^. So the Turbo is comming out of my pocket...and i was just savin for one too -_-". Ok, while i wait for my uncle to get here, how bout a little chit chat? In the touge there was a STI teetering on the edge on top of a little 2 ft high stone wall that seperates road from a 400ft drop. Kinds freaky comming around the turn and seeing not much in front of you being that its 11pm so its> road> mountain side> road> tree> wall> wall> subi on wall> wall> wall> road. LOL Got out to look and the wall is about a foot thick and the subi is teeering leanght wise on the wall (driveshaft right on top of wall) like a tight rope walker. I would of been scared to move at all. Anyone elase have crazy stories like this?

ok i have my valve cover off and is there a way to see if i bent valves from there w/o taking the head off? Also my coolant leaked out when the belt broke, guessing the pump broke but how does it break, like it popped out of the engine and bent metal or what?

In the 420A the water pump is ran by the timing belt. Sounds bad, sucks to be you...Hope no bent valves...

You have to take the head completly off to see if valves are bent it should be fairly easy to tell if there bent thell probably be sticking out of the seats a quarter inch or so and you can look into the intake ports and if you see light there bent the gasket on your pump could cause that leak also when you replace your t-belt you should replace your tensioner, pump, idler and pulley bearings the parts dinasour has a good kit to replace your hydraulic tensioner with a mechanical one.

Or you could use the fitting for a leakdown tester and listen to the air filter and tailpipe. :sneaky:

well you could risk and assume that there is no bent valves and slip the timing belt on, time it and crank it over. If you hear clunks, you bent valves. I threw a timing belt on my 1.8L SOHC motor and i just threw one on and it was fine, but keep in mind my motor, 4G37 is a non interference single cam. You could possibly have a bent valve or two though.
Since it sounds like youre short on cash and need reliability, do the SMART thing and fix this car, go thru it and check other isssues and DONT POUND IT IF ITS YOUR DAILY DRIVER.

Well figured im just going to take the head off and visually inspect it. Plus I need to grind down one of the bolts because of the 420a has a flaw with the block not being drilled deep enough. might as well do that, save me 7 bucks a month for a quart of oil. Now the question is whats the fastest and easiest way to take the head off. Just leave the manifolds on and disconnect the intake pipe and downpipe and just unbolt it? Also I think I can get at the 6 bolts (I think theres 6) that holds the head down without takings the cams out. Can someone confirm this or should i just take the cams out?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back