The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Timing belt - engine problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kr0n0z

Probationary Member
May 9, 2005
Sarasota, Florida
I recently tried to replace my timing belt due to the balance shaft belt turning into swiss cheese. I checked the tensioner according to the manual, and it looked fine according to specs. The pullys spun feely with no play. I installed the new balance shaft belt and timing belt. Checked the timing marks like 10 times. Started the car, it idled perfectly fine. Turned the car off, double checked the timing marks again. So I figured everything was good. Put everything back together, started the car and went to go for a drive... Didnt even make it 20' past my driveway and the car made a harsh high pitched noise and died. I took it all back apart, and I can only move the crank maybe a quarter turn before it wont spin anymore. Im most likely assuming I bent a valve. Is there anything else I should check, and is there a way to tell if a valve is bent by taking the valve cover off or do I have to take the head off... :confused:

Doesn't sound good. You can start by taking the valve cover off but I doubt you'll be able to tell if you bent a valve or not. I say start by taking the plugs out and see if you have any pieces of valve sitting in your cylinder. If you timed it as correctly as you previously stated, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. You can also do a compression check on each cylinder. Good luck.

im affraid to do a compression check due to the fact that when I turn the crank by hand it wont move farther than a quarter turn...

Take the spark plugs out and see if you have pieces of your valves sitting on top of your pistons. Otherwise you might have to take your head off and see why your engine seized.

so I take it the valve(s) would have shattered, and not bent?

wow LOL that just happened to me :) congrats u bent or shattered a valve :) so heres what happened to me which prolly happened to you... The banence belt got jammed some how take timing cover off i bet ull find pieces of balencer belt its fun and it stopped your crank from moveing and your exasut and or intake cams skipped 2-3 teeth like mine yay I HATE BALENCER BELT AHHHHHHHH

um, that was the original problem... balance shaft belt looked like string cheese. it was everywhere. I got all the pieces out, and reinstalled a new belt, and timing belt.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back