The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Thinking about selling my car. need some advice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guedo512

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 11, 2002
Tokyo, Asia
Over the past few weeks i have shuffled with the decision to sell my car or mod it. i have a 96 gs 5spd with 46xxx miles and everything is mechanically in working order. i figure i can get 8g's for it, but the problum is if i sell it could i be in a nicer car or will i be in a pos.

most of the cars i want to get are over the 12xxx price tag and thats just for used ones unless i found a deal. i really want a gsx, but im not sure if i can afford the maintence, and or upgrades for one. now given, i am only 17, but i am very responsible for my age and i know i shouldnt get into a turbo car, but i want to for some reason. i love my eclipse and its hard for me t talk bout selling it, but i feel i should get the cash for it while i can. what would you guys do? i never said im selling it, but i never said i wont. give me some advice. with college next year i wont be able to afford a car payment.

some possible cars i am considering are: 96-99 gsx, 93-95 rx7 tt ( preferably with a blown motor so i can make it somewhat reliable), 94-96 300zx tt, 93-95 mr2 tt. if these wont work i am considering getting an older muscle car, or going to the auction or junk yard and getting a wrx or s2000 if they have one to fix up.

Originally posted by guedo512
Over the past few weeks i have shuffled with the decision to sell my car or mod it. i have a 96 gs 5spd with 46xxx miles and everything is mechanically in working order. i figure i can get 8g's for it, but the problum is if i sell it could i be in a nicer car or will i be in a pos.

most of the cars i want to get are over the 12xxx price tag and thats just for used ones unless i found a deal. i really want a gsx, but im not sure if i can afford the maintence, and or upgrades for one. now given, i am only 17, but i am very responsible for my age and i know i shouldnt get into a turbo car, but i want to for some reason. i love my eclipse and its hard for me t talk bout selling it, but i feel i should get the cash for it while i can. what would you guys do? i never said im selling it, but i never said i wont. give me some advice. with college next year i wont be able to afford a car payment.

some possible cars i am considering are: 96-99 gsx, 93-95 rx7 tt ( preferably with a blown motor so i can make it somewhat reliable), 94-96 300zx tt, 93-95 mr2 tt. if these wont work i am considering getting an older muscle car, or going to the auction or junk yard and getting a wrx or s2000 if they have one to fix up.
1. Sorry to burst your bubble, but you probably won't get 8K for your car. Yes it has low mileage, but unless you find someone who doesn't know what they're buying....then it'll be a tough sell.

2. If you can't afford the maintenence on a GSX, then don't get a 93-96 RX7 TT, or a 300Z TT. Both require a lot of maintenence (and the Z is a bi*** to work on). I've owned both of those cars. I wouldn't go the junk yard route either (especially at your age), cause they usually have a bad title, and then after fixing it all up, IF you ever decide to sell (which, let's face it.....people your age do every couple years), you'd have a hard time selling it.

3. My advice is to keep what you have. If you like it, then keep it. Good luck.

By the way you talk you dont pay your insurance do you? If you do then i would check insurance on the cars you named before you get hi hopes. Then get straight crushed.
Ty

Originally posted by Skunked tsi
By the way you talk you dont pay your insurance do you? If you do then i would check insurance on the cars you named before you get hi hopes. Then get straight crushed.
Ty

i am under my dads name. i hate paying the insurance, but i know if i step up to the turbo cars it will be about 3gs a year to insure for me.

You're not getting 8k for a 1996 GS, ever. Sorry. Well, maybe if it ran 8's, and gave blowjobs to the driver on a regular basis.

Wait until you graduate from your schooling (be it highschool, college, grad school, whatever), then get a nice car. Keep yourself humble, because performance cars are not for the light in the wallet.

Originally posted by cait sith
You're not getting 8k for a 1996 GS, ever. Sorry. Well, maybe if it ran 8's, and gave blowjobs to the driver on a regular basis.

Wait until you graduate from your schooling (be it highschool, college, grad school, whatever), then get a nice car. Keep yourself humble, because performance cars are not for the light in the wallet.

Definately no since in being mean with that first statement bro. :|

But as far as your car goes. You cant get 8g's for a 96nt... I cant even get 7g's for a 98gs with only 65k Miles dude. Seriously check into the insurance tho if your thinking of another "Higher End Sports Car".
That alone will make you decide to not stepup to a TT or a Turbo'd car.
Its wise if you got the cash to back up the problems or got the tech knowledge to fix the problems, but definatly not for someone that dont know it.

You never replied as to weather you pay your insurance or not. You just told us your under your fathers name.

So you pay it now?

But it's TRUE.

You WOULD get 8k+ if it ran 8's and gave oral. ;)

---

Let me put it this way, you're seventeen.

You can buy a 2G and have no life because you will be working your ass off to support the money pit... Nevermind the insurance, gas (16 miles per gallon on premium baby) and downtime.

OR, you can work part-time, keep the car you have which is perfectly fine, have a real life besides your car, and do something.

Sure, you won't impress a bunch of tough guy keyboard racers, or super t00ner rice rocket owners. If I knew even half the heartache that my car has put me through over the last 2 years, I'd have avoided it like the plague.

Save up, graduate from school, keep your shitkicker, *THEN* buy a real car, like an EVO, STi, or a Vette.

Hey man, don't worry. I was in your exact same position about 6 months ago. Don't listen to anyone here when they say don't sell your car. I made the mistake of buying a black Eclipse GS with 90,000 miles on it for 5 grand. It was my own money that I had saved up from my part time job. Back then I had no clue that there was even a turbo Eclipse model, I just wanted an Eclipse...any Eclipse! I went all crazy and bought an N1 exhaust and headers and intake for it...Then i discovered that my car was good looking but awfully slow. (It was an automatic as well) All that money I spent was down the drain...

I then decided to sell my car. People (like the ones on this board) were telling me how I should keep it and just wait til i finish high school (at the time) and college. Well of cousre I didn't listen. I ended up selling all my car parts on Ebay and got the majority of the money back for them. Then came the tough task of selling the car itself. I went nuts and printed out flyers and posted them in my school, at the church, at the Shoprite near me. Eventaully I was able to sell my car for 5 grand on DSMtrader. With the 3 grand extra I had saved up, I was then able to finally purchase a 98 GST in great condition with only 70k miles on it. (stick too!)

To make a long story short, I'm only 18, but already I've had 2 DSMs. I pay for my insurance, I worth a part time job and I still have time and the money to buy parts and hang out with my friends and girlfriend. I also go to college. I'd suggest selling your car, but not for something outrageous like an RX7 or a 350Z. Stick to a turbo DSM. It worked out for me, and if you're as responsible as you say you are, you should be able to sell your car, and buy a new one too.

If I were you i'd sell it for about 5k.8k is a little steep.I would buy an early 2G Turbo,Preferebly an AWD but if you could get a TSi or GS-T go for it.Its better than a N/T:D Or you could keep your car about 4 more months while saving(I assume you have a job)By then you should have about 3,000 or so,sell the GS for 5k combine the money and you have 8k to spend on a turbo dsm.I dont know your bill situation so I cant really give you a detailed opinion.Just go with what you want.Whatever you want go out and buy it now while your living at home with your parents with close to no bills,because later on in life you wont have shitloads of money to spend on toys:thumb:

You can have money for toys later in life.

It's just a matter of proper budgeting and knowing when to stop.

They're even bigger and more expensive than DSM's could ever be.

Originally posted by cait sith

Save up, graduate from school, keep your shitkicker, *THEN* buy a real car, like an EVO, STi, or a Vette.

thats what i was thinking about doing when im not into my car. yes i do pay my own insurance. its not in my name though, its under my dads and i give him the cash every six months.

i guess it just comes down to every now and then i loose intrest in my car when i see what else is out their. hopefully in a few days ill get back into i and decide what ill do.

Originally posted by Eclipsed
Just buy my spyder and get it over with. :thumb:

LOL. i want a gsx, but i have to start some where. how much do you want though? just for the record.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back