The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

tdo5h 14b? td05 16g?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cixelsid

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 14, 2005
Front Royal, Virginia
Is this right... I'm sorry - im a bit confused. I keep seeing TD05's being called 14b turbos in one place and 16g in another. I searched the forums but couldnt find a descriptive model # - laymans name chart. Is it the H that determines what size it is?

what models are 14b's?
what models are 16g's?

(stock mitsu, of course)

THANKS GUYS!!

Here's what I could find on the Vfaq site regarding the questions you posted...

What is a 14B?
What is a 13G?
What is a T-25?

14B turbos are stock turbos on first-generation manual transmission cars. 13G turbos are smaller, and are stock turbos on first-generation automatic transmission cars. Both are made by Mitsubishi - the full numbers are TD05H-14B-6CM2 and TD04-13G-5CM2, respectively.

The Garrett T-25 turbo is stock on second-generation cars.

Although these turbos are stock, and therefore considered "small" for DSM applications, they are perfectly good upgrades for non-turbo and even some twin-turbo models. This makes them still somewhat valuable on the second-hand market.

What is a 16G?
What is a 17C?
What is a 20G?
What is a 25G?

The 16G, 20G and 25G are Mitsubishi racing turbos, larger than stock. 16G is the short name for the Mitsubishi TD05-16G, the 20G is a Mitsubishi TD06-20G, and the 25G is a Mitsubishi TD06/07 hybrid turbo.

The 16G is a popular upgrade from the stock DSM turbo. It has been said that this turbo is designed for quick spoolup, which improves streetability and performance in application such as autocross. It is also a bolt-on replacement for 1G cars.

The 20G is a much larger unit and is generally reserved for serious drag racers. Once the biggest turbo available, the 20G is now considered a "medium" turbo upgrade - at best. It has fallen out of favour because there are larger, less laggy turbos available now. Still, many people use 20Gs.

The 25G is a combination turbo based on the 20G. Similar to the "big" 16G, it has "mismatched" compressor and turbine wheels: the turbine wheel is TD06 (stock 20G) while the compressor wheel is bigger. 25Gs are extremely hard to find, and are sold by GReddy as a T67-25G turbo. It is not nearly as popular as the 16G and 20G turbos, and is less "proven".

Finally, the 17C is a turbo originally supplied on the General Motors Syclone and Typhoon turbocharged trucks. It is reported that this turbo is more efficient than the "big" 16G (described below) under around 18 psi, but less efficient above. It is also not nearly as popular as the 16G variations for DSM upgrades, possibly for lack of availability and price reasons.

tdo4, tdo5, tdo6, etc. refers to the compressor housing..

both the 14b and 16g (small and big) use the tdo5 housing while the 20g can use either the tdo5 or tdo6.

if someone is telling you that they're selling you a tdo5 turbo, that's not saying anything about the compressor wheel, it could be stock (14b) or a small or big 16g. if anything, ask for a picture of the compressor wheel and you'll be able to tell if it's a 14b or 16g

According to this chart the TDO5H compressor housing can be used with either a 14B or a 16G. What matters is the compressor wheel. Ask for a pic of the compressor wheel and post it here. I'm sure someone will know which turbo it is.

L0G1C said:
According to this chart the TDO5H compressor housing can be used with either a 14B or a 16G. What matters is the compressor wheel. Ask for a pic of the compressor wheel and post it here. I'm sure someone will know which turbo it is.

yes, that's what i said...

as for the compressor wheel.. if all the fins are the same size, then it's a 14b, if not, then it's a 16g

marcmsj said:
yes, that's what i said...

as for the compressor wheel.. if all the fins are the same size, then it's a 14b, if not, then it's a 16g

Ha ha, I didn't see your post, but yeah... What you said...

Awesome guys! Thanks for the clarification! Anybody have a 14b they wanna sell cheap or a 16g they wanna sell for $100?

cixelsid said:
Awesome guys! Thanks for the clarification! Anybody have a 14b they wanna sell cheap or a 16g they wanna sell for $100?

it's hard enough finding a 14b (in good condition) for $100, let alone a 16g. usually used 14b's go for around 130-150 and 16g's for 200+

that link that you posted, the guy was only selling the compressor housing which will do you no good if you don't have the other parts to go along with the turbo. either way, you should be able to find decently priced 14b's on here as a lot of people upgrade to bigger turbos, just be sure to ask lots of questions and pics, and buy from a friend of a friend of a trustworthy friend if possible.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back