The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Taillights, side skirts, and any other mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon82567

Probationary Member
May 16, 2023
Melbourne, Florida
Not new to fast cars have vetts and a trans am that runs mid 12s low 13s

I just got my hands on this beauty I have everything in the mail to replace the hideous blitz front bumper with stock…. What else should I get? Any good place for stock taillights and side skirts? Engine mods?

Car was running 12s the guy said needs updated head bolts to boost more. It’s been parked 8 years. I’m replacing all rubber lines serpentine belt and tires.

What’s done:
Garrett 50 trim Turbo
36” intercooler
38mm Tial wastegate
Exhuast Manifold & 4” exhaust
Venom intake manifold
Aeromotiv A/F regulator
High Pressure Fuel pump
FIC 850cc fuel injectors
Adjustable suspension
ECM Engine Management System
Guages and Boost Controller
HKS Blow off Valve
60mm intake
18" Rims
K&N Intake

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I'm not new to cars, just new to turbos and small engines. The car wasn't abused much after the mods, it sat in my dads garage for 8 years it was his friends that was an engineering professor he took it to the track a hanfull of times.

First question: I’m prepping it for paint I got all new parts for the stock bumper lights exc…. Nothing available for back. I kinda like the Blitz rear bumper it’s glass I’m thinking of cutting the vents off and going smooth I like where the backup lights are on it. Feelings on b2 side skirts? The blitz on it I’d have to remove (riveted and body taped) shave and blend. All the side skirts I have seen in person would take 10+ hours of body work then 100.00 worth of flexible parts repair (bumper bondo) and online 600 a decent set I can blend the b2s in a weekend they look very stock.

Planned maintenance this coming weekend. Flush all fluids. Replace brake lines, rebuild calipers if needed. Replace all flexible fuel lines. Replace ever hose under the hood and the Serpentine belt.

Second question: I’m fine with hydraulic clutches my mid 12s super charged Trans Am has one. Is cable really better for a daily driver (gas is to much for the 103 octane the TA needs at 13 a gallon)

Third question what do I do about the timing belt car has 90,000 on it but it’s the original I have always upgraded the chain on v8s. I see these blue belts and people with no covers.

Fourth question. Since it sat 8 years I’m pulling the head and replacing all the springs and valves. My v8 experience is port and polish barley did anything when super charged same with cams (granted it’s already a performance engine) un-super charged it was night and day difference.

Fifth question; is there really any else I can do to this? It will be a street car I’m just looking to ne slightly faster than a new LT1 Camaro stock they run mid 12s bolt ons low 12s that’s the manual version not even dreaming of messing with the 8speed dual clutch version.

Sixth question I head 3rd gear strips is it worth my time on a street car running sticky 245 18” awd to go into it? The guy who built it’s said if I replace the head bolts it’s designed to run 30 psi he’s a PHD engineering professor that teaches automotive engineering.

To answer most of your questions

Ive had my built 4th gen fbody for 15 years, the equation for horse power is similar to boosting a v8, your gains are going to be seen after investing in engine management and fuel system

Yes you can upgrade the head bolts to head studs, the head gasket will last longer at higher boost. Rebuilding the head isn't typically necessary, however for your goals you may want to invest in a set of camshafts and have the head decked and check valves and guides

The weak link in a higher horse power setup is always going to be the drivetrain. You haven't mentioned if it was all wheel drive or front wheel drive, that will drastically change your horsepower goals if your main goal is quarter mile times.

The timing belt is the most critical aspect for motor function, the gates racing blue kevlar belts are considered a stronger belt, and can often show wear indications more easily if there is a problem. Running a timing cover is reccomended on a street car, it would not be ideal to expose the timing belt to outside contamination like fluids or debris. On a race only setup it may be easier to leave the cover off, however again I strongly reccomend them to keep moisture and fluids out

Last edited:
Third question what do I do about the timing belt car has 90,000 on it but it’s the original I have always upgraded the chain on v8s. I see these blue belts and people with no covers.
90000 miles.... replace....

Sitting for 8 years..... replace...

up to you if you want to remove balance shaft while youre at it. You can search for thread on pros and cons of doing such.. but please replace the timing belt..

Water pump also gets replaced while doing a timing belt job.

OEM belt for the win!... But people have also used Gates with success.

To answer most of your questions

Ive had my built 4th gen fbody for 15 years, the equation for horse power is similar to boosting a v8, your gains are going to be seen after investing in engine management and fuel system

Yes you can upgrade the head bolts to head studs, the head gasket will last longer at higher boost. Rebuilding the head isn't typically necessary, however for your goals you may want to invest in a set of camshafts and have the head decked and check valves and guides

The weak link in a higher horse power setup is always going to be the drivetrain. You haven't mentioned if it was all wheel drive or front wheel drive, that will drastically change your horsepower goals if your main goal is quarter mile times.

The timing belt is the most critical aspect for motor function, the gates racing blue kevlar belts are considered a stronger belt, and can often show wear indications more easily if there is a problem. Running a timing cover is reccomended on a street car, it would not be ideal to expose the timing belt to outside contamination like fluids or debris. On a race only setup it may be easier to leave the cover off, however again I strongly reccomend them to keep moisture and fluids out
It’s AWD I’m doing a head job I don’t want any broken springs. Plans are guides seals springs and lap the seats for a good seal. If it’s not super noticeable I rather spend my time on the bodywork. It’s going to be a daily driver street car. Any cam recommendations and are there better head gaskets I’m not looking for a Subaru fiasco like a friend of mine? I’m 38 an will not abuse it that much I’m not wanting a track car just something slightly faster than a new LT1 Camaro and is good on gas so low 12s. The interior is stock with leather power seats and even still has the cd/tape original radio. Also brakes, thinking of going 12” in the front are silicone coolant hoses better than rubber? I’m replacing all the rubber lines in the car I’m not 20 anymore I don’t want to work on it along side the road. Suspension is already done with tubular control arms and adjustable springs. Pretty much trying to build and F-body replacement that’s good on gas.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back