The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Syncromesh mixed with gear oil?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nazthug

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 24, 2003
livermore, California
I put a new tranny in my car and put in redline gear oil which I think is too think cause shifting is really notchy and slow.

I keep hearing about this GM syncromesh and want to try it but it scares me because its very light and may not offer enough protection to the bearings and such

YES YES I keep hearing about how awesome and great it is, but how many of those people have more than 1000 miles on that stuff before they brag about it? I want my new tranny to last.

So can I mix this stuff with a bit of gear oil(thicker 75-90) stuff to give it a bit more thickness to keep the tranny protected?

That syncromesh stuff is like 60-70weight and just seems too thin

Most people are referring to the Penzoil Synchromesh when they say "synchromesh." Yes, Penzoil. I am using this for the first time and I am very impressed. Better than BG synchroshift II in my opinion.

Straight gear oil is too thick. Syncromesh will make it shift smoother but doesnt have the best protection available. I talked to the engineers at Redline and they told me to go with a 50/50 mix of Redline MTL and Redline MT90.

wayne71 said:
Straight gear oil is too thick. Syncromesh will make it shift smoother but doesnt have the best protection available. I talked to the engineers at Redline and they told me to go with a 50/50 mix of Redline MTL and Redline MT90.

one of the local shops here who rebuilds and had broken a lot of transmissions swears by NEO RHD (1qt) mixed with syncromesh (2qts) he sells it pre-mixed for 50$ www.englishracing.net

Unless you have a thorough understanding of the base stocks and modifiers, mixing greases is very dicey.
I'm at 30,000 miles on my first Synchromesh change. One of these days I'll probably get around to changing it out again.
As the various Synchromesh threads will show you, it has an excellent reputation with DSMs, Stealths, and 3KGTs.
The Synchromesh with the Pennzoil bottle containing it instead of the GM package is about a third the cost, and is exactly the same product. AutoZone carries it around here.

Autozone must have caught wind of this fad, and raised the price about $1.25 a quart here.

The syncromesh is what you want to use in our tranys. You need a oil that has fiction modifires so the syncros will engauge the gear oils dont have this and will cause a quick trany failure. I recomend do a yearly trany fluid change with the penziol stufff and dont add any gear oil. Another thing with using the thin syncro mesh is that the trany will shift into second with eaze when real cold out. The syncromesh is more of a 20-25 WT oil. I would just change it yearly and that trany will last many many years as long as the cluch is adjusted corectly.

i have it in my Turbo CRX b16 tranny for about 45,000 miles with one chage at 25,000 and i have it in my DSM tranny with 32,000 on it and i need to change it soon. It has been really good to me my dad's friend gets the stuff for me. He works a GM doing the durability testing and is the one that told me about the stuff a while back.

I am running Penzoil Syncromesh with a quart of Redline Heavy Shockproof.

I have been running straight Syncromesh in my used trannys for years. For my newly purchased Shepherd tranny,I was curious as to whether there was a better choice protection wise,John suggested the Shockproof.

Summit carries it,I think it was $7.xx a quart.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back