The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Sun roof to moon roof

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david-b

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, Illinois
Been searching and didn't find a good answer. I'm looking to install a the full sun/moon roof (not debating which is what) that goes all the way back. I just have the one that flips up and locks there. Thing is near useless. I've been doing power conversion to the windows and locks, and would love to have the full sunroof to complete this project.

I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem like DSM would have made 2 different roofs to accommodate a full sun roof or just the flip up. Seems that ideally, they would be the same size, and just need the hardware swapped in. Anyone have any luck or knowledge in doing this? Are the holes the same size?

Thanks.

Mitsu never made a manual flip up (for the 2G). The only one they made is a full power tilt and slide.

Yours is most likely aftermarket.

Yeah yours is aftermarket for sure. Go buy a sport SPOILER top slider from Inalfa ASI or Webasto. You cannot use a full INBUILT moon roof that drops IN and goes back...cause the ROOF itself isn't long enough. It has to go OUT the top and BACK.
Automotive Seating & Sunroof Company - Event Series Images

Inalfa Sunroofs for cars - car accessories aftermarket - Sunroof, Moonroofs, Power sunroofs, American sunroof, Automobile sunroofs, Aftermarket sunroof, Moonroof, Car sunroofs, Asc sunroofs, Automotive sunroofs, Electric sunroofs, Auto sunroof, Sunro

Why would anyone put in an aftermarket sunroof. Mine has a little latch on it, and it pops out to 2 locking points.... just like the pop-up type shown on the site above. One barely open, the other where the back sticks up about 2 inches or so. Everything looks stock with it to. The people who had the car before didn't do anything right, so I know they wouldn't have made it look this 'stock' themselves.

Can I just use a stock power sunroof? Or is this aftermarket recommended?

You can't use a stock one unless you cut the whole roof skin off a donor car with a sunroof in it.
The metal roof skin is rolled in on the cars with stock sunroofs.

I bet on your pop up sunroof you can remove the whole glass!! Open the back till its all the way up. Then look in the front and rear for tabs that make the whole glass pop out to reveal a NICE BIG open sunroof!

You can't use a stock one unless you cut the whole roof skin off a donor car with a sunroof in it.
The metal roof skin is rolled in on the cars with stock sunroofs.

I bet on your pop up sunroof you can remove the whole glass!! Open the back till its all the way up. Then look in the front and rear for tabs that make the whole glass pop out to reveal a NICE BIG open sunroof!

Haha... Ya I can remove the whole glass no problem. Have done that to clean the glass :d

And I'm not cutting the roof off the car for a sunroof, so that's out of the question. So these aftermarket ones will work fine? How hard is the install? Wiring?

Cut out the hole with electric shears to the right size. RTV silicone the seal and bolt the trim ring on to hold it in place. The wiring is just 3 wires. Ground / 12v / Ignition

Usually the roof will come with a quick fit inner trim that will go around the headliner. This way you wont have to RE-WRAP the headliner.

Cut out the hole with electric shears to the right size. RTV silicone the seal and bolt the trim ring on to hold it in place. The wiring is just 3 wires. Ground / 12v / Ignition

Usually the roof will come with a quick fit inner trim that will go around the headliner. This way you wont have to RE-WRAP the headliner.

So there's no direct drop in unit? I have to cut no matter what?

Well That depends on the size of the hole they cut in your roof. You will have to measure it and call Webasto or Inalfa to see if the have a roof that will drop right in your existing hole.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back