The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Sun Roof or Moon Roof

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew7DG

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 11, 2004
Rosemount, Minnesota
I was wondering if anyone has tried to install a moon or sun roof in a car that didn't have one before.

Are the roof designs different like i should be able to cut a hole in it or be able to mod the roof if i find a moon roof setup in the junkyard. I would perfer this setup because it would have the moon roof options instead of the regular sun roof open and close option.

Or should i just install a sun roof to make life simple?

This thread is going to explode into a debate of what is a sunroof vs. a moonroof.

I've always considered a moonroof a sunroof that slides into the roof while a sunroof slides back above the roof.

Going by my definition, it would be VERY difficult to install a moonroof and you'll also loose interior headroom. This is because the roof wasn't designed with a place for the moonroof to go originally.

I would just go with a sunroof and make your life simple. The only difference feature-wise should be whether you see the moonroof/sunroof or not when it is open.

^ ^ ^ Agreed on that. It's really just marketing talk, but the first I'd heard "Moon roof" was a Ford (Lincoln?) commercial in the early seventies.... maybe either the Thunderbird or the Cougar.

Regardless, there's no difference between the base roofs. You should be able to cut a hole and mount the cover. Putting a 2G roof into a 1G has been discussed, but I don't recall the upshot.

There are also after-market kits available:

http://www.sunroofdoctor.com/

I've seen 2G roof assemblies on eBay for $50, but of course shipping will be costly.

i know one guy who cut the entire roof off. and iv seen ones where someone cut the skin off and welded a new skin on. but overall, if i was going to do it, id just cut a hole for it, easier and cleaner IMO

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back