The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Suggestions for Head stud,Camshaft and Valve Spring Replacement?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsmokez

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 30, 2009
Brampton, ON_Canada
Hey guys, I'm currently just wrapping up my turbo install, it'll be done once I pick up a new return line but I'd like to do my research for the next part of my build ahead of time. I've got GSC S2's, camshaft seals, L19 head studs, Kiggly Racing Valve springs/retainers and Supertech valve stem seals. Now I've never done something like this before but I'm pretty confident I'm able to do it. I will not be removing the head from the car, I'll be installing the head studs one at a time. My main question for you guys with more experience is how do you suggest I go about everything? Any particular order I should do things? I also came across a guide on how to replace camshafts without having to redo the timing, I'd like to avoid that part if possible because it seems like a major pain with the engine in the car. I bought the tools already to do the timing worst case scenario but I'd prefer not to use them :D. Let me know what you guys think.

Hey guys, I'm currently just wrapping up my turbo install, it'll be done once I pick up a new return line but I'd like to do my research for the next part of my build ahead of time. I've got GSC S2's, camshaft seals, L19 head studs, Kiggly Racing Valve springs/retainers and Supertech valve stem seals. Now I've never done something like this before but I'm pretty confident I'm able to do it. I will not be removing the head from the car, I'll be installing the head studs one at a time. My main question for you guys with more experience is how do you suggest I go about everything? Any particular order I should do things? I also came across a guide on how to replace camshafts without having to redo the timing, I'd like to avoid that part if possible because it seems like a major pain with the engine in the car. I bought the tools already to do the timing worst case scenario but I'd prefer not to use them :D. Let me know what you guys think.
Im currently going thru almost the same thing. I already have my cams installed but I do need to upgrade my valve springs and was hoping I'd be able to have them done with the head still on. Not sure about being able to install them without having to redo the timing though.

Its possible to replace the springs without removing the head but its not easy. Not possible with the cams in. Redoing timing is just a couple hours work to disassemble and reassemble everything. Hell im looking at pulling all HLAs for inspection this weekend myself, not a big job just annoying.
Redoing timing with engine in car is irritating because of less access to tensioner but i have done it a half dozen times. it builds character.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back