The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Stuttering and bucking under boost

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colossus

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 23, 2003
Crestview, Florida
Just bought this GSX, and was told to watch out for some of the bolts connecting the manifold to the turbo, as they occasionally back out.

Well, the other night I accidently hit the revlimiter in first gear because I was watching my rear view mirror instead of the tach, so I went ahead and shifted to 2nd gear, and upon reaching about 4.5-5K at a couple psi, I hit a brick wall that really seemed like fuel cut.

So, I took the heat shield off, and retightened one of the bolts that was pretty back out for some reason, all the others are ok.

I checked my FMIC couplings, etc, etc, no leaks that I've found yet. Got back out on the road, hit 17 psi in first, shifted to second, built up to 5 psi, hit that brick wall. Now I hit it again in every gear. The car idles fine, accelerates fine if I accelerate slowly through RPM's so I don't build boost.

What do you think the problem is? I can't find it. It can't be fuel cut since it kicks in at around 5 psi, and my MBC is set at 19..and I can normally hit 19psi all day without a problem. 550cc injectors, and s-afc tuned.

I took out my spark plugs (NGK BPR7ES) and they're decently white on the first 3 cylinders, and somewhat white on the fourth.

Think this is a problem? White is a sign of running to hot? I ordered some more plugs which should be in tomorrow, but is this a probable solution?

Here are two pictures. All 4 plugs, with me holding the one out of the #1 cylinder. See how white that is with lacking of deposits? The Haynes manual says this is from them being to hot...

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Now that I changed the plugs, the problems a ton worse. My downpipe was lose. So, I retightened it. Now the car starts and idles like crap, accelerates in idle like crap, it backfires a lot, and whenever I put it in gear, it stalls.

This is so f**king stupid. Towing it to a friggen shop.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back