The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Strut Choices

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketman1000R

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 28, 2009
Houston/LA, Texas
Ok so I have searched this forum for a good strut choice, I was looking to see if there was any new choices for our old DSM that wasn't bouncy or harsh. I currently have KYB AGX with HR springs, I hate them. I have had to change them out three times. I've noticed that even new out of the box they wouldn't even be close as a match on a shock Dyno. They both have different resistance. I guess the QC at KYB isn't very good and that's shocking to know since the make shocks for OEM use. I have a 90 GST and want it to ride as close to stock as possible. I have even looked for OEM replacement coil springs and their discontinued. No aftermarket OEM replacements either. The lowering spring puts too much bounce for the struts. I read the Koni somewhat fixes that, will the Koni strut bottom out on a hard bump or bridge transition? I've had Tein and Megan coil overs in my Talon and their bouncy too. Please help. Also what is your personal experience with Bilstien replacement struts with lowering springs and do they work well taking the bounce out? Please only personal experiences or links that maybe useful.

You should try the gr2 by kyb. Better strut for oem ride. My dad has them on his 1gb with eibach sports and it is not harsh or bouncy at all. Another option to look at would be Monroe sensatrack I use them on my 2g with eibach pros and the ride is great for a some what lowered car. Hope this helps you out.

I run eibach springs with Tokiko illumina 5 way adjustable shocks. This allows you to stiffen the ride without a huge effort. On setting one ( where I keep it for dd) they are just as soft or softer than oem. Then I put the hood/hatch up and turn two knobs to stiffen them up for track night

gr2 dont last long with lowering springs, koni don't make the rears anymore as far as I know, and do yo have camber kit so you have the correct alignment?

For those with a low budget, the Koni is the best product available for the DSM. You can also look at converting the OEM Evo shocks to work on the 1g. Those two options will give you the best handling without a harsh ride compared to any of the other aftermarket shock/spring combos available - as well as most coilover kits costing less than $2k. Don't waste your time or money on anything else.

If you have the cash, an Ohlins kit (linked above) will get you as close to the factory ride quality as you're going to find, along with the best possible performance. But it will cost ya.

All KYB are junk. Would do Bilsteins if on budget. And if you wanna just run over anything and everything, DMS 50mm rally suspension.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Becuz racecar.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back